Anyone running an HP computer with WINXP?

BigTree

Targa JZA70 FTW
Jan 6, 2007
Canada, BC
Little bit of advice. Call them. Tell them you are reformatting your computer or your computer guy is doing. You bought a RETAIL version of xp. Tell them your 4 yr old ripper off the sticker, colored all over it, the tower fell down some stairs and you cant read it anymore. Anything man. I have used all those excuses and many more lame ones to get free keys. Just BS and you'll get your key.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Dude if its an HP it has a sticker with the serial number on it, just find someone with an xp cd and get busy reinstalling. Do it right unpartition the hiden partitions, make one large partition and reinstall JUST xp. I do this my everyone, it's called debranding. No more HP crap and your system will run like a normal xp desktop.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
It's NOT an hp, it's an HP edition of windows or some BS like that. Windows home edition. I like BigTree's suggestion. If I tell them I bought a retail version of xp though, they'll tell me to RTFM and find the sticker in the box lol

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
so if I use this program and find my windows key (which I did), i should be able to reinstall with this key no problems? even if i have that gay ass thing where it says "you dont have a genuine copy" etc.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
yes they are lol, i used the program that matt posted earlier, got my key, and just reinstalled windows a bit ago... worked :D

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
wow, this should NOT be in the open area, someone needs to lock this bitch down and delete it.

back to the topic, there are 3 types of keys, OEM(came on the computer), Retail (bought in store) and volume liscence (corperation w/ alot of computers runnign their own "build" of windows). your key needs to directly correlate to the version of windows that you have, or else it doesnt work.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Yep pretty much, best bet is to use that program to find your key, and use the same key when you reinstall with the same disc.. its what I did.