Anyone know the shelf life of Nitromethane??

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Boss gave me this today....

p1164584_1.jpg

Really is 80% Nitromethane, don't know what I'm going to do with it. Kinda wanna toss it in my buddies lawnmower see what happens. :evil2: It's been sitting for about 4 years, so who knows how good it is still.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
if that can was ever open I wouldn't run it in any rc car! Nitro evaporates really damn fast so I wouldn't trust that it has enough left to burn well...

When I raced 1/8th scale ofna buggies, I wouldn't reuse fuel after two weekends cause the sun loves to eat the alcohol....kept my fuel in a fridge to stay away from light and concreat.

Burn it if you want...personally I'd only use it to light a bonfire in the back yard.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
No seems unlikey it's still good, even though the can is sealed, and was in a box in a dark room. 4 years when the site says 6 months to a year pretty much rules it useless for anything productive lol.

With that said, lawnmower idea still up in the air, burning it still there too, but have to find something cool to burn with it. Any other ideas, I'm defintely keeping the can, cause it's just kinda cool to me.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
if you do it at night it looks cool. The flame starts about 5-6 inches above the fuel. And yes it goes bad very fast. Ive bought gallons in the winter and used them in the spring and the cars wouldnt even start. It does really help to keep it dark and cold. I used to put them in my basement in a brown paper grocery bag. Works well enough. In a briggs motor with high compression it actually works, even old fuel, and moves the powerband up a little. I think because the oils in the fuel seal up the valves and piston better, it has no real lubrication system. Use it about 50/50 with gas if you have a go kart or mini bike. It also will gum up the spark plug, so watch out for that.