Anyone Know Kanji or Hirigana?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
ive always wanted to get "celica supra" in katakana, even though it would be more like "cerika", LOL

its on my list of things to get eventually

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
I know the hiragana characters, but not what hardly any words mean.

If you translate it into the Roomaji (phonetic translation to English characters) I can give you the hiragana for it.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
LOL @ Tanya's avatar too

Katakana is ugly...Hirigana is a very beautiful language. Kanji is just...basic lol

If you say so *shrug*
p503274_1.jpg

I like it, and that's all that matters.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
LOL @ Tanya's avatar too

Katakana is ugly...Hirigana is a very beautiful language. Kanji is just...basic lol

Actually, most katakana characters are based on hiragana characters - they are just more "blocky" looking, where hiragana flows more naturally with the pen/brush, and is more rounded. There are some differences here and there, but not huge ones.

Kanji is not "basic". You learn hiragana and katakana first, because THEY are the "basic" characters - then move on to kanji. Kanji is more complicated, and one kanji "character" can stand for many hiragana characters. If anything, I would say that katakana is "basic", just because of it's look.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I want mine removed. Gayest thing I ever did, and nothing I want to drop a grand on now to get rid of. There is very little chance that something a person thinks is cool, sentimental, whatever at 18, 25, 30, or even 40 will feel as strongly about or even like 20 or 50 years later.

Now if they could come up with one that faded to nothing in 5 to 10 years? THAT would be great. ;)

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
If you know Japanese, or maybe spent a lot of time in Japan and it was very meaningful to you, then yeah maybe a kanji tatoo is a good idea.

IMO getting a tattoo you can't even read is the most poser of all poser moves.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
If you want it, get it. It's your skin and you'll have to live with it.

My brother has some of the most abstract and what seem to me as meaningless tattoos I've ever seen. I don't understand it but it's not my place to preach at anyone about their tattoos.

Just think about it for a while. Are you really going to want this 20-30 years or more later? Some guy on supraforums posted pics of his new "SUPRA" tattoo he got on his back. It's probably one of the dumbest things I've seen.

I'm also going to join the group saying "If you can't read the language, don't bother." Who knows... you might end up with the kanji for penis lover instead and you wouldn't even know. :) If you're taking classes in the language and have some kind of basic speech and writing skills then maybe... but ultimately, do whatever you want. It's not me that has to look at it everyday.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
LOL @ Tanya's avatar too

drunk_medic said:
Actually, most katakana characters are based on hiragana characters - they are just more "blocky" looking, where hiragana flows more naturally with the pen/brush, and is more rounded. There are some differences here and there, but not huge ones.

Kanji is not "basic". You learn hiragana and katakana first, because THEY are the "basic" characters - then move on to kanji. Kanji is more complicated, and one kanji "character" can stand for many hiragana characters. If anything, I would say that katakana is "basic", just because of it's look.

I think he meant to say Katakana again. Kanji & Hiragana are both beautiful and cool to write. I never really like Katakana much.