Anyone know how to get ahold of Tokico Illumina II TEMS shocks?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Good looking out toysupguy, I hope they keep these stocked. They are a great replacement and I do notice a difference with them installed. Over 8 years and about 20,000 miles later they ride very good.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought there was some kind of lifetime warranty but I don't remember if that was these or the blue version or not at all.

toysupguy

Phantom
Jun 1, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I have an official answer from TRDShops. The EU3634 (front struts) are no longer made by Tokico as of today. Rear struts are available. The current solution is the only one available; non-TEMS struts ;-( Any recommendations? I will see what TRDShops has available.

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
Yeah, we just found out about it when our supplier cancelled our open orders and told us they've been discontinued... the only other options out there I know of are KYB, Koni and Tokico HP's. Nothing is available that's compatible with TEMS. At least not as far as I know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I guess this answer's my questions about the availability of Illumina IIs... Does bilestein still make shocks for our cars? That can be added to the list of shocks that aren't compatible with TEMS.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I just bought a set from www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com. The site has a chat feature and the guy told me they still have some available. It came to $609 which is about $15 per strut more expensive then I have seen on other sites. Since my struts are probably from 1989 and I want to retain the factory TEMS system I figured it was time to pull the trigger before it's to late.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
You sure that order went through SupraTrbo89?

Tried ordering myself a set through that company.
No go. They don't have the item in hand.
They are ordering from the manufacturer, which does not have them available anymore.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
2 seconds ago I just got an email from them saying they are out of stock. I specifically said to the guy, "Are you sure you have these because they have been discontinued." He assured me they did. Then they tried selling me on Koni Yellows.....nah I'm good.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah I can't find them anywhere.

Need to find a place that has them in hand.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah these things are gone.

Called the U.S. Tokico distributor even, no luck. :(

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Yes, I think we are stuck. I reached out to Aaron a Driftmotion to see if he knew anyone who had them on the shelf. No luck. His response below. I guess i'll have to go coilovers eventually.

Hi,

They are backordered from Tokico, I don’t think anyone has any on the shelf. Tein coilovers are really inexpensive now and will handle a lot better than normal lowering springs and Tokico shocks. In my opinion TEMS is really not great for performance, and now they cost too much for what they are.
Check these out, really nice setup for the money:
https://www.driftmotion.com/Tein-GSL44-2USS2-p/dm105.htm

Thanks,

Aaron

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
From Tokico:

At this time the EU3634 shock is currently on back order. We do not have an ETA currently.

toysupguy

Phantom
Jun 1, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Shameless plug for TRDShops; Will was notably exceptional in finding the HU3634 and HU3635 for the 89 Supra, and for answering all questions I had. Been keeping up with this thread, and I would be very surprised at this point if anyone found the TEMS front shocks.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I found 1 front EU3634.

Still looking for another.

Need to look very hard, contact everyone.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Update from contacting everyone from the parent company Hitachi all the way to the distributors that put the parts out the door to the customer:

- The shocks are ordered by the master distributor, and Hitachi / Tokico have to supply the parts to the U.S.
- The manufacturer needs to make the all the parts needed to create another batch.

When that happens is anyone's guess.
No ETA's were given.

So I expect more of these shocks to be available at some point in the future.

Good thing.
I was only able to locate 3 shocks in the last few days.
Still looking for someone with 1 front shock to complete my set!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I really hope they keep these going. These shocks ride amazing paired with Eibach springs and I dont want to get rid of my mint t.e.m.s. buttons either lol.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Once I get a full set I am planning on having a linear spring made to fit these.

Not a fan of the progressive only springs that are available for our cars.

Really wish there was a linear spring available in the aftermarket. (Not Toyota OEM one)

Look what showed in the mail today!

Unicorn parts :D
20170421_170327.jpg

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Everyone mark your calendars.
I received word today that some more part's may be available in June.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah there is no chance for these Tokico shocks.

I have exhausted all avenues for finding any more of these parts.
Only needed 1 more front shock!

So unless someone has a set on hand NIB, they are gone.

We lost our US distributor for Tokico and Hitachi paid their fine for price fixing - 12 Million sometime last year.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ne-for-role-in-u-s-price-fixing-idUSKCN10K1X2

My conversations with Mport / Tokico and Hitachi have all dead ended.

So if anyone wants a functional stock TEMS system or something similar to TEMS go with:
- KYB TEMS Super Special (JDM market part only)
or
- TEIN w/ EDFC

I tried everything I could, no luck.
Shame.