Anyone know how to DELETE THE POWERSTEERING on an Mk3?

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Okay guys I love the conviences like AC and powersteering but you know what my AC doesn't work and my powersteering leaks. I already took out my AC. However I don't really know what to do with the Powersteering pump. Is there a way where I can just run straight rack and pinion. Please let me know what I must do and what I need for this procedure. I'd rather fix my clutch then fix all these lil problems.

Thanks,

-Steve Z

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
You will hate parking w/o power steering....
Really all you have to do is disconnect the belt to the pump, as most leaks are on the high pressure side of the system.
If you want to save weight, you can pull the pump and lines, but you will need to connect the feed and return ports on the rack (don't leave then open and squirt the fluid all out, the rack still needs lube!)
hope this helps!

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
SUPRASTEVE;1640535 said:
Okay guys I love the conviences like AC and powersteering but you know what my AC doesn't work and my powersteering leaks. I already took out my AC. However I don't really know what to do with the Powersteering pump. Is there a way where I can just run straight rack and pinion. Please let me know what I must do and what I need for this procedure. I'd rather fix my clutch then fix all these lil problems.

Thanks,

-Steve Z
:nono: Fix the power steering. You will thank yourself later, especially if you have wider-than-stock front tires. Ask me how I know...

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I have driven a few drift cars without power steering.. You will hate it.. My high pressure was leaking on my power steering, ended up being the sealing washers that sandwich the banjo bolt.. 3.00 later and two new crush washers and the leak is no longer present!

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Steve, First what's up bro? it has been a while. Second, i have not had power steering on my car since it has been back on the road. it's not to bad. i still have the pump on but i have the feed and return lines from the resivoir connected . i would think just cut the pressure line and return line and splice them together and you should be fine or run them to the resivoir and keep some fluid in it. either way it's not as bad as you might think. take the belt off and take it for a ride and then decide what you want to do.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
from what i understand you can send flaming river the measurements so they can custom make the tie rods and you can use one for a foxbody in our cars you just need the universal joint to hook it ot the steering colum and ur good to go a guy i bought a fender from on here has a 1uz in his mk3 and he did it i will have to dig his name up and post it up or he might chime in

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Well if it feels not as tight without fluid then that sucks. Guess I'm going to have to look at it again maybe I'll just get a PS pump from autozone later on LOL.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The Supra is heavy. Power steering is good. It can be done with a properly depowered rack or a manual rack from another car, but I'd still rather have power steering in a Supra.

For my AE86? Manual steering, but it weighs half a car less.

Jeff

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have driven without power steering, and I could handle it. It's all in how you look at it. If you bitch a lot, then it's not for you. It's not bad once you get used to it.

I also acquired this hose on a parts car that I once had. I'd let it go for $25 shipped

p1644239_1.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You have to be moving some what to turn the wheel without governator arms. Not impossible but hard. Wouldnt go without it.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I would suggest fixing the power steering. I have the Mustang steering rack in my 87, I do love it but if I was to do it again I would keep the power steering. I usually avoid turning the wheel when not moving and have got it down so that I really never need to.

Anyway, good luck!

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
If anything, Autozone carries a kit with all the seals for the factory pump. It runs for about $26 and it pretty much leaves the pump new unless you somehow cracked yours. The PS is not a luxury on these cars. It's not a commodity either like the AC.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
ForcedTorque;1644239 said:
I have driven without power steering, and I could handle it. It's all in how you look at it. If you bitch a lot, then it's not for you.

Sorry, but that is just a bunch of BS. Unless you're a professional body builder, turning at all while rolling <5MPH is damn near impossible. Not to mention the massive stress you're putting through the steering column that was probably only meant to take it on rare occasions. I'd also bet you are unable to make any heavy load cornering and make quick direction changes or corrections what-so-ever.

Any race car much bigger than a formula ford has power steering, so thinking it is somehow better/racey/cooler to go around struggling to turn the wheel - is kidding yourself. It's nothing but inconvenient and dangerous in a car as heavy and capable as this.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I dont know why you would want to delete the PS, 3500 LB cars with manual steering are terrible. I have driven a few mk3's with manual steering....no thanks not for me. I like my one finger steering and cold AC as I cruise down the highways.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
Hmm i recently lost my PS in my supra, I somewhat felt like more of a man using two hands to turn. But I guess i do miss a 90 degree turn with one finger. I either cut a line during rebuild or need a new crush washer. Plain as that. Haha

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Sawzall? anyways,,, no pwr steering+3500lbs(We are talking about a supra of course..)= Fail.... I had my pump act up on me, it was terrible..... you will kick yourself for not spending the few extra bucks to fix it. Trust me

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The one thing people need to realize is there is quite a bit of a difference between having a power steering setup that is not working, and having a manual steering setup. The difference in effort required between the two setups is quite a bit. Driving with a broken power steering setup or even looped lines on the rack versus a proper manual rack or properly depowered rack is huge.

I would never recommend driving an A70 with the P/S belt removed, etc. The steering effort required, while manageable, is very high, and it is not fun at all. Driving an A70 with a proper manual rack setup is slightly better, but even then the Supra is HEAVY. Power steering is win.

Jeff