Anyone know any good engine build books??

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I am looking to do my first engine build toward the end of this year so I am starting my research.

Does anyone know of any books about engine builds and/or how to choose parts that work well together and stuff like that?

Thanks!

-JP-

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
DeMoN2318;1916172 said:
I am looking to do my first engine build toward the end of this year so I am starting my research.

Does anyone know of any books about engine builds and/or how to choose parts that work well together and stuff like that?

Thanks!

-JP-

Okay, first what kind of goal are you looking for?

Are you wanting a straight line drag car? A daily driven weekend warrior? Do you want something that can turn and accelerate around a track?

Second, choose your budget. Now take that number and double it, then triple the time you think it'll take to get it together and running properly.

Choosing your parts needs to be done with an end goal in mind. Say you want a big turbo, 67mm+ but you're only looking for 400 rwhp. That makes the 67mm completely overkill and you'll end up with a lag monster that has a turbo barely in the range it needs to operate in.

Now if you're just looking for assembly tips and tricks.. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?5631-7M-assembly-tips.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IndigoMKII;1916177 said:
Okay, first what kind of goal are you looking for?

Are you wanting a straight line drag car? A daily driven weekend warrior? Do you want something that can turn and accelerate around a track?

Second, choose your budget. Now take that number and double it, then triple the time you think it'll take to get it together and running properly.

Choosing your parts needs to be done with an end goal in mind. Say you want a big turbo, 67mm+ but you're only looking for 400 rwhp. That makes the 67mm completely overkill and you'll end up with a lag monster that has a turbo barely in the range it needs to operate in.

Now if you're just looking for assembly tips and tricks.. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?5631-7M-assembly-tips.

I want something that will smoke Vipers, Z06s, and Gallardos but that is reliable enough to do a 1000 mile road trip without worry.

I am pretty much set on keeping the 7M with a CT26...either 57 or 60 trim. I'm thinking around $7500 and 6 months.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Okay so..

CT26 on a 7mgte will probably get about 420rwhp with the biggest upgrade you can do on it.

Now with $7,500 you'll be able to completely put every bolt on and standalone to try and squeeze as much out as possible.

If you wanted to compete with vipers and such which are close to 5xx rwhp, I'd say you'll have to change out the ct26 with probably a t4 turbo OR adapter on the stock manifold for a holset or something.

I myself, with 7500, I would change out the exhaust manifold and move to a t4 tube manifold with a hx40 then upgrade the fuel system accordingly.

You'll probably have to run 750cc injectors with a dual walbro hanger or aeromotive a1000 fuel pump with new feed lines run to a aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.

The stock intake manifold will flow enough to meet/exceed your goal but the intercooler will have to be changed out. I'd suggest running 2.5" mandrel bent tubing to a spearco intercooler.

Internals you could build up if you wanted, je pistons with eagle rods on a 7m balanced/polished journal crank. I would change out the valve springs with new springs and retainers as well as the valve stem seals and re-lap the valves.

Make sure you that you also run a shimmed oil pump and arz or similar hardline for the oil pump. Replace every hose on the engine with a gates hose.

These are just some things off the top of my head.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Buy factory repair manual and EWD book to start with. And your budget is to low for the list of cars you want to kill. However a 400 whp car is a blast to drive and will run or outrun alot of cars. Your budget can you get you that.

I meant budget for engine and upgrades on top of already solid car.

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I have a bunch of automotive books and a few books that focus on "engine building" blue printing, that sort of stuff, good stuff to know... But from what I've found, as said above, the best books to get for our cars are the official TSRM and EWDs and then rely on these boards for specifics.
Part of my "garage library" :
p1916502_1.jpg

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IndigoMKII;1916190 said:
Okay so..

CT26 on a 7mgte will probably get about 420rwhp with the biggest upgrade you can do on it.

Now with $7,500 you'll be able to completely put every bolt on and standalone to try and squeeze as much out as possible.

If you wanted to compete with vipers and such which are close to 5xx rwhp, I'd say you'll have to change out the ct26 with probably a t4 turbo OR adapter on the stock manifold for a holset or something.

I myself, with 7500, I would change out the exhaust manifold and move to a t4 tube manifold with a hx40 then upgrade the fuel system accordingly.

You'll probably have to run 750cc injectors with a dual walbro hanger or aeromotive a1000 fuel pump with new feed lines run to a aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.

The stock intake manifold will flow enough to meet/exceed your goal but the intercooler will have to be changed out. I'd suggest running 2.5" mandrel bent tubing to a spearco intercooler.

Internals you could build up if you wanted, je pistons with eagle rods on a 7m balanced/polished journal crank. I would change out the valve springs with new springs and retainers as well as the valve stem seals and re-lap the valves.

Make sure you that you also run a shimmed oil pump and arz or similar hardline for the oil pump. Replace every hose on the engine with a gates hose.

These are just some things off the top of my head.

Thanks for your input!!

I guess I will have to rethink my CT26 plan...

Do you think $7500 is enough to get me where I want to be? I haven't sat down and priced everything out yet but from some quick looks it seems like internals will be about $1000, head work $1500, standalone $1000, tuning $1000, machining $1000, that leaves $2000 for turbo and misc....

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Head work is overkill IMO, many people have made 700+ rwhp on stock head/cam combo.

You could probably build MS2 for 1000 bucks while having all the required sensors.