Anyone know a good method to allign/put a new door on the supra?

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
I got a door for the supra since my old one was banged up. The door i gots hinges were taken off. Anyway of alligning right so it doesn't sag? Also I found that its easier to access the bolts for the hinges with the fender off LOL. So any good methods or tips besides getting a door with the hinges already on. Thanks guys

-Steve Z

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I would like to know this as well. My drivers side door needs to be aligned a little. It sags a little. Not much. But it annoys me.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
I'm not an experienced body man, but my good friend is.

I had this exact issue on my chevy truck.

I took it to him and he did something I never expected.

he got a 2x4 and a floor jack. he opened the door, put the 2x4 under the bottom part of the door. (where door meets rocker panel), and jacked it up. Worked perfect.

you just need to be careful not to bend the door up. even if you did, it wouldn't be noticeable as it is on the bottom of the door.

Hope that helps

good luck

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
You could go get a manual from autozone for supras and it will tell you, either that or stop by and ask someone that works at a shop.

What i actually did was close the door and hold it while i had a friend tighten up the bolts and it seems to be dead on. But then again, once my door actually goes into place my window slids up a little bit.

I'm not sure if toyota designed it like so, but if they did makes me think of the new mustangs and corvette's when there window does down as soon as you open the door and slids up when you close it

7mgtorC

Formerly SupraMann
Mar 5, 2008
California
carter;1374488 said:
You could go get a manual from autozone for supras and it will tell you, either that or stop by and ask someone that works at a shop.

What i actually did was close the door and hold it while i had a friend tighten up the bolts and it seems to be dead on. But then again, once my door actually goes into place my window slids up a little bit.

I'm not sure if toyota designed it like so, but if they did makes me think of the new mustangs and corvette's when there window does down as soon as you open the door and slids up when you close it

x2 on the jack thing.. ive tried it and it worked.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I've used the floor jack as well. Use the floor jack to hold up the rear part of the door and then loosen the 6 bolts holding the door in place. Jack up the door a little, tighten the bolts, and see if you got it right. If not, do it again. I've had to do this a couple times when putting the door on/taking the door off by myself and it works great.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
honestabe;1374653 said:
I've used the floor jack as well. Use the floor jack to hold up the rear part of the door and then loosen the 6 bolts holding the door in place. Jack up the door a little, tighten the bolts, and see if you got it right. If not, do it again. I've had to do this a couple times when putting the door on/taking the door off by myself and it works great.

You're totally Right Adam. My dad said that to do the same thing as well. I just wanted to know if there was a different method but it looks like I have to do just that.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Another +1 to the jack method.

We've used the jack method at the GM dealership numerous times on quite a variety of different vehicles.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I replaced my door hinges, PITA. Pulled the fender to make it easy. Then I folded a towel a couple times and put it on the scuff boards(bottom of door) and closed the door on it. Then I just replaced one hinge at a time. Worked perfect.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
SUPRASTEVE;1374402 said:
I got a door for the supra since my old one was banged up. The door i gots hinges were taken off. Anyway of alligning right so it doesn't sag? Also I found that its easier to access the bolts for the hinges with the fender off LOL. So any good methods or tips besides getting a door with the hinges already on. Thanks guys

-Steve Z

there really isn't much to it since our doors are like the hood. they install in one fixed position. you don't have to worry about the lines because the hinges aren't adjustable like older domestics and some older imports so if your lines are off your body is jacked up then. everytime i have had to take them off i just left the hinge on the body and unbolted the door from the hinge. its easy with a couple dudes. :biglaugh:

just make sure you unplug the door before you try and yank it out. those harnesses don't like the weight of our big ass doors. lol.

edit: you don't have to take the fenders off...

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
black89t;1376109 said:
there really isn't much to it since our doors are like the hood. they install in one fixed position. you don't have to worry about the lines because the hinges aren't adjustable like older domestics and some older imports so if your lines are off your body is jacked up then. everytime i have had to take them off i just left the hinge on the body and unbolted the door from the hinge. its easy with a couple dudes. :biglaugh:

just make sure you unplug the door before you try and yank it out. those harnesses don't like the weight of our big ass doors. lol.

edit: you don't have to take the fenders off...

While I'll say theres some partial truth in that, there is a bit of lee-way around the bolt holes of course, even shows you in the TSRM. Most the time when people think there door needs aligning is because the hinges themselfs are worn out and tht cause the these fat ass doors to sag, and over time ruin the striker/body. The striker isn't ment to hold the door up just to keep it closed. Thats why I highly recomend changing them even though it's a shitty job..

It makes it much easier if you take the fender off, and eliminate the worry of scratching/chipping anything.

You don't have to take the door off though lol.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
dumbo;1376112 said:
While I'll say theres some partial truth in that, there is a bit of lee-way around the bolt holes of course, even shows you in the TSRM. Most the time when people think there door needs aligning is because the hinges themselfs are worn out and tht cause the these fat ass doors to sag, and over time ruin the striker/body. The striker isn't ment to hold the door up just to keep it closed. Thats why I highly recomend changing them even though it's a shitty job..

It makes it much easier if you take the fender off, and eliminate the worry of scratching/chipping anything.

You don't have to take the door off though lol.

i have r&r both driver and passenger doors this way along with many other cars. and they work perfectly. if you know any bodyshop guys that are somewhat experienced this is what they do when replacing a smashed door. they don't waste time pulling off a fender unless it got damaged also.

LOL at the jack thing. what a ghetto way of "fixing" some worn out hinges.

oh and a piece of cardboard cut to shape then taped to the door will protect the paint.

and the amount they can adjust is very minimal.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
black89t;1376124 said:
i have r&r both driver and passenger doors this way along with many other cars. and they work perfectly. if you know any bodyshop guys that are somewhat experienced this is what they do when replacing a smashed door. they don't waste time pulling off a fender unless it got damaged also.

LOL at the jack thing. what a ghetto way of "fixing" some worn out hinges.

oh and a piece of cardboard cut to shape then taped to the door will protect the paint.

and the amount they can adjust is very minimal.

It might be ghetto, but bodymen swear by it. And literally takes seconds to do.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Finally decided to try the jack trick on my sagging door on my Supra. I had to do it a couple times, because I wasn't pushing it high enough.

I basically put the jack under the door to support it. Loosend the bolts on the door hinges a jacked it up pretty high. Then tightened it and took the jack off. And it worked!! I had push it back down a little, but it closes smoothly now and no longer drops down when I open it.

Don't know how long it will last, but its working now.

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
+1 on the jack method. Did it when I replaced both doors on my supra. Made it a little easier. You dont have to remove the fenders, but you can just to make sure you dont scratch em up.