anyone interested in CF #3 valve covers?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Please hold off on the buying until we can set up a GB on these... I know everyone is anxious, but we still need to follow the format/rules to do this... I dont want any reign to come down on anyone, I hear he can be a dick about the rules... ;) But in all seriousness, Cat, if you wanna do this PM me and we'll go over the details...

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
Reign_Maker said:
Please hold off on the buying until we can set up a GB on these... I know everyone is anxious, but we still need to follow the format/rules to do this... I dont want any reign to come down on anyone, I hear he can be a dick about the rules... ;) But in all seriousness, Cat, if you wanna do this PM me and we'll go over the details...

PM on it's way:icon_bigg

CRE: the seal is pretty tight, i check my plugs all the time so i didn't really think of it that way :biglaugh: it defenitely wont just pour in there ;)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
catback said:
CRE: the seal is pretty tight, i check my plugs all the time so i didn't really think of it that way :biglaugh: it defenitely wont just pour in there ;)

Good to know, but check by the valve cover screw holes, if there's a gap there it'll pour right in.

What I'd really like to see is a very thin galley cover with a rubber gasket which seals all the way. Then you'd mount what ever cover you like and maintain functionality. It'd go on like this: Thin reinforcement plate, rubber/silicone gasket, ornate cover on top.

EDIT: I looked at the pics again and yeah, it's definitely cut right! Excellent... I'd probably add a little RTV to seal it up well, but that's me. Excellent job, those look really good. I may have to pick one up soon.

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
CRE said:
Good to know, but check by the valve cover screw holes, if there's a gap there it'll pour right in.

What I'd really like to see is a very thin galley cover with a rubber gasket which seals all the way. Then you'd mount what ever cover you like and maintain functionality. It'd go on like this: Thin reinforcement plate, rubber/silicone gasket, ornate cover on top.

EDIT: I looked at the pics again and yeah, it's definitely cut right! Excellent... I'd probably add a little RTV to seal it up well, but that's me. Excellent job, those look really good. I may have to pick one up soon.

are you talking about this area?
i'll measure it tomorrow but i think it's under 2mm.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
That's the spot, some of the aftermarket galley covers I've seen are modeled after the stocker minus the plastic (perhaps it was once rubber) so the cuts are much broader leaving drain holes. Yours appear to come right to the edge, so a little sealant and it's as practical as the OEM gasket, but better looking and more durable.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I thought there was a carbon fiber shortage or something? You don't seem to have a problem getting CF ;). Very nice engine bay BTW, too bad it's just a layer over the metal and not an actually shell of some type.