Anyone in the mk3 community into drifting?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
It's possible i've attempted it a couple times in parking lots here and there I'm not any good but its definitely a fun feeling.

Just make sure your car is ready and up for the abuse.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
the supra is a GT racer, heres ther difference

Grand tourers differ from standard two-seat sports cars in typically being engineered as larger and heavier, emphasizing comfort over straight-out performance or spartan accommodations. Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which creates more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal

Usually, drift cars are light to moderate weight rear-wheel-drive coupes and sedans over a large range of power levels. There have also been AWD rally cars that have been converted to RWD.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
A couple locals, one who is on the forums, do it here. Personally I think drifting is a waste of tires and motors but I have to admit some of them are pretty good.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
if you want to drift a supra gut a mk2 and put a 7mgte in it. We did a track day, and a guy running a tuned 7mgte in his gutted MK2 was giving ken gushi in his 1j cressida a real good run for his money.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Compton74;1835670 said:
if you want to drift a supra gut a mk2 and put a 7mgte in it. We did a track day, and a guy running a tuned 7mgte in his gutted MK2 was giving ken gushi in his 1j cressida a real good run for his money.
My Mk2 does a good enough job of it considering it has like 120hp at this altitude... the chassis slip angle makes them nice and easy to control when you do get sideways, I love that thing. Power would just make it easier.

Now, I personally prefer grip-style driving (hey, tires are expensive, and making a drifting mistake on public roads can be VERY expensive), due to the design of the car (it's quite capable) and my own preference. Drifting always seemed to have too many variables to me, where grip driving, you can consistently compare corner speeds from run to run. Granted, you still have variables, but they don't seem quite as random to me.

Now, if I had a track that was closer than 200+ miles away, I might be more into it, it's quite fun.

Jayhall;1835728 said:
Ive always thought an LS1 in a gutted mkiii would make for a fun time
There's a reason everyone uses them, the torque and response on those motors makes power on oversteer a very easy thing... I had a hoot of a time in my old SS when I had it. Solid axle, torquey motor, long wheel base... if you couldn't slide that thing around, you probably shouldn't drive it. :p

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
te72;1836328 said:
There's a reason everyone uses them, the torque and response on those motors makes power on oversteer a very easy thing... I had a hoot of a time in my old SS when I had it. Solid axle, torquey motor, long wheel base... if you couldn't slide that thing around, you probably shouldn't drive it. :p

So I think I made my mind up, Im going to buy myself a townhouse, and then Im going to build a drift car with a small block, probably chev because well youve seen the "post pic of your garage" thread. I could put a blown 350ci chev motor for about $2500 and get about 400 hp out of it. I spent yesterday at Evergreen in Monroe Wa. As stated there is a pretty good scene just south of me

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
MK3's are heavy but fun as hell to drift. You pretty much have to get rid of the 7M for drifting as the constant high rpm and oil slosh are just a recipe for disaster with the 7M, but the 1J and 2J love it. If your serious about drifting you can PM me for any questions you might have.

These are from last weekend
576774_10151024785803849_609033848_13491783_1348557109_n.jpg

459669_447745645242696_746570391_o.jpg

479053_447739568576637_289765671040695_88731221_1419585624_o.jpg

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
HMNGSupraMKIII;1836656 said:
I wounldn't mind drifting but supras are too fat to drift unless you add more horsepower. It would be fun to drift in my supra though.

you are incorrect sir...grossly incorrect

There is a guy in San Fran (Chevy37) that drifts an NA 7M fairly well. You don't need much power to drift at all, and the added weight really only effects weight transfer, not how much power you need to drift. I have been drifting on a stock 1J for the past 5 years, finally upped my power this past winter.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Drifting is about control... power just makes it easier to make mid slide adjustments. Hell, I got my brother's old 2000-ish Caddy Deville sideways through weight transfer alone, and that thing is FWD, not to mention about 800 lbs heavier than a Mk3. ;)

drod23

Mar 27, 2011
Santa Paula, California
i drift my supra, ive done 6 events with a stock 7mgte and its still my daily driver with no problems. they have more than enough power to learn how to drift. people say they aren't meant to drift because they're heavy and no steering angle but its definitely possible. all u need is a welded diff, steering rack spacers and remove the steering stopper bolts from the hub. and take good care of the motor and ugrade ur cooling system they tend to overheat. as far as weight u can remove alot of stuff to lighten it such as the remove rear seats , factory crash bars, a/c system, sound deadening, get racing seats to replace the heavy front seats.u dont need a expensive engine swap and custom knuckles to drift a supra