Anyone Got In-Dash TV in the Supe? JVC InDash dvd players-the 5100, or the 6160?

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
I'm having a hard time deciding between these two units- they both look very similar, I think the 5100 actually looks a lil bit glossier, but basically they're the same. I guess the 6160 is the new version of it, but bestbuy and circuit city are still carrying only the 5100. There it is around $300-Online you can find them both shipped around $210-250.

KD-DV5100
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027437&pathId=58&page=2
11.JPG

KD-ADV6160
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027426&pathId=58&page=2
35.JPG

Do you guys have any experience with these? 5 gigs of mp3s burnt to a dvd disc, sounds phat to me. Only thing is, there is no search (on the 5100 at least I know that it's true) so you have to organize really well with folders, and use the folder/song navigation.

Cons:

With the 5100 when you turn off the unit, and then turn it back on, the playback starts back from the beginning of whatever track you were listening to. No big deal...just kind of dumb.

I can't seem to find seprate bass/treble controls, even tho there is a "user" EQ settings, besides the built in "hip hop", "rock", etc settings. Does the 6160 have a better EQ where bass/treble are adjustable?

The 5100 is about 30-50 bucks cheaper. The terminals on the 6160 are gold plated, whereas the 5100 they aren't.

I really have scoured the internet to find out these things, so instead I'm looking for others who have or have had these in their cars, and their thoughts on them. I plan on pairing this possibly with a cheap in dash swivel, non-motorized lcd with TV tuner so that I can see the track info and playlist as well as play DVDs, and watch the local news on my way home from work. (well, at least at stop lights, or when I'm going less thatn 50mph...hehe jk)

Thanks in advance-

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i bought the Pioneer version...so nice, so simple...i've always loved pioneer tho..

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I would avoid JVC if you can. The protection circuit of the internal amplifiers is poorly designed, and makes them easy to blow. They can wear out quickly if not setup exactly right. Pioneer or Alpine would be a very good way to go.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I have a JVC touchscreen headunit and sometimes the faceplate shorts out. I wouldn't buy another, I'm going to buy an Alpine next.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
I've never had any problems with my older JVC, it was a model below the Kameleon like 5 years ago - still works great to this day, and it powered 3 tens off of 2 rca outputs, as well as 4 midrange speakers- for the longest time. I pushed it, too...and people heard me coming. They still do :)

I like JVC - I think it is excellent quality. Pioneer is as well, I have to agree- but they don't make an in-dash dvd unit similarly priced, do that? I already bought my In-Dash LCD screen with TV tuner, just won it on ebay. It's non-motorized, so I'm not worried about it hitting the shifter on my automatic.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
GrimJack said:
I've got an Alpine head unit at the moment, and it's about as user UNfriendly as you can get. I will not buy another - pretty certain that my next purchase will be a Pioneer.

Which model do you have and what do you find unfriendly about it? I'm trying to decide on what my next headunit will be.

I love the look of Jeff Lange's Alpine, but all the new Alpines are ugly as sin and have some weird glidetouch thing that I know I'll hate.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
in my opinion the new alpines are actually starting to look nice!

although I agree, they are NOT NOT NOT NOT a user-friendly head unit.

pioneer is equal quality while being extremely easy to use.

wooT

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
I would've hoped that nobody had a TV, DVD player or similar piece of equipment in their Supra. IMO, if you want a rolling movie theater to "pimp it" in, get an Escalade like every other fool that's driving one out there.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
That's a nice setup you've got there...That screen fits nice is the double din, its just a little bit too low is it hard to read that low? Awesome install tho, very clean/ I just don't have any place to put a pc box, and dont want to get into that. I'm taking the easy way out, jvc dvd player, innovatek in dash lcd, so that gives me 4.7 gb -8 gigs with dual layer on each disk worth of mp3s, organized by folder- then i have my tv tuner to get local stations, and dvd from the head unit. Not bad for around 350 bucks ;) and No bootup/shutdown time - thank god for that. Navigation is nice, but if you don't know where you're going before you get in your car, you're doing things waay too last minute :)
You can learn a lot about car pcs at www.mp3car.com

people on there can be pricks, ive seen one mk3 owner on there, he seemed cool.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I have the Alpine 7969 from a few years back.

Everything on it is wrong! Well, ok, not quite. The basic controls are mostly ok, but try anything beyond selecting a radio station or skipping tracks on a CD, and you get annoyed.

Some menus stay open for a set period of time - a couple seconds, then the unit drops back to the main menu. Some stay open forever. The menus that stay forever are the ones you would rather have a timeout on, and the ones with a timeout are far too short. I'll be halfway through setting the time delays for my front speakers and it'll revert to the main menu all the time.

Just things like setting a radio station. Every head unit I have ever owned uses the same method - hold down the preset button you want it assigned to until it beeps. The Alpine, on the other hand, is far more complicated. Hold down ANY preset button until it beeps, then within one second push the preset you want it assigned to.

I could go on for pages, but I'll leave it at this.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I was a car audio installer for years and the indash monitors I liked the best were Kenwood and Pioneer. Eclipse is too damn expensive for what you get, and I never noticed the "awesome sound quality" that Eclipse claims they have the market on. Can't say anything too good about JVC headunits except the price is like the quality, fairly low. I absolutely hate Sony in-car video products and amplifiers! Alpine indash monitors never seemed to last more then a year or two before the motorization for the screen would start to hang up and get stuck. Usually happpened right after the customers warranty was over. And like Grimjack mentioned, Alpine seems to think everyone will keep the owners manual permanently in the car just to be able to figure out simple things like setting the presets. Just my .02, nothing personal :icon_bigg

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's actually a vga touchscreen monitor and it's straight outa China, from a company called Lilliput. It's like $280 shipped on ebay and arrived in 3 days from China! No problems with it whatsoever. Xenarc makes a similar unit but the performance is about the same and it's over $400.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
yeah you need vga if you want an in-dash computer. You can also get vga with rcas tho, too - im sure they would be higher res than a regular TFT lcd - but you wont find on thats DIN that pulls out for very cheap.

I ended up just ordering the 707 from mp3playerstore.com off ebay, 120 bucks shipped. Hopefully its not junk when it gets here - I've heard good things about them...

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
I've got the Pioneer AVIC-N1. I ts great and very easy to use. I also has cool features like speed, RPM, angular velocity, G forces. I'd check it out if I were you

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
Do you have any pics of AVIC-N1 installed in the Supra?

I'm trying to decide what route to go. I might end up with a carputer/Lilliput 7" touch screen.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
One thing to consider with a flip up monitor is that the Supra dash has the radio mounted back in a few inches and some monitors may not be able to angle back enough without hitting the dash.