Anyone ever had "cracklins"?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Not sure what they are actually called, I'd imagine those from the south would know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, they're basically hog fat boiled in grease.... sound good? Just imagine, pork rind taste.... and the tenderness of an exhaust manifold... I think they call 'em cracklins cuz if you're teeth aren't top notch, they will crack. Anyway, mom brought these home because the butcher shop neeeeeeever has them, and today they did so she buys some. I'm not so sure they aren't for dogs to begin with, but they taste sooooo good. I'm gonna be 21 and die from a heart attack.

Just curious if anyone has tried these before.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When I do roast pork here I do "Crackling" I score the skin with a knife in 10mm wide strips lightly oil it and rub salt on it.

When the Roast is done you get the same effect, never heard of standalone cracklins though Yum!

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
I've had them before, but I don't remember what they were called. Cracklins sounds good enough for me. On another note, I've also had microwave pork rinds, basically the same idea as microwave popcorn, it was pretty weird. Most of them didn't puff up and were basically what you described. They weren't as tasty as the true cracklins though.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Brewster said:
Sounds absolutely disgusting.

i second that.

plus the thought of cracking my already more or less ruined teeth makes me feel weird... *shudders*