Anyone else using the ACT Extreme 6 Puck clutch?

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Hey everyone!
I'm using an Act extreme 6 puck and its seem's everyone but me really like's these clutches and find them fine to drive. My Dad whom has built multiple stick car drag camaro's said its the worst clutch he's ever drove... Something going on here? The disk is sprung yet it engages wicked fast and stupid hard. I myself have never driven a racing clutch before this so I can't compare it to anything else but my Dad on the other hand says the sprung disk should NOT engage so harshly. How fast it engages doesn't bother me too much, but the harshness worries me for breaking parts. Anyone else have this problem or should i just be looking into getting a new clutch? It bangs (Much louder than normal) shifting hard so its just the breaking shit that's worrying

Spec's are r154, 4.30LSD, stock 2 piece driveshaft, 1jz-gte with a holset single turbo. heres a video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcfwH6b2ec
can get more video's tonight if its a concern

And if anyone has a recommended pull type clutch that can handle some decent power let me know!
(I hear clutches for drag racing are very soft and forgiving for launches to not break parts)

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
My act needed to be used in "city traffic" for some time to be good.
But it's all about the work done to the flywheel..smooth flywheel results in a a smooth engagement. I got mine machined flat. .had to take offaabout 1mm..

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Yes, I pushed my thrust washers out and lunched my short block with this exact clutch lol. I'd recommend a Spec 3+ for anyone staying under 500ftlbs (they tend to slip on power shifts after that) and a twin disc for anything after that. I have the 630 or 650 version and it feels like total ass. Its getting replaced with a Spec twin if I keep the car.

BTW your Dad is right. Every single aftermarket clutch I've driven in a domestic (easily 50+ ranging from full face to four pucks to twin discs) has been better than this. I don't even know why its so bad, I've used stiffer pressure plates on cable setups (even with tensioner springs on the fork that make it stiffer) with a six puck and its butter comparatively.

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Wow... Well that's a relief to hear you say that because i gave up and ordered a new clutch hahaha. Funny thing is my Dad said that's exactly what would happen if i kept the clutch, good thing i trusted him on this one. Thanks!

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
You should also bypass your neutral safety switch if you're grabbing something with an upgraded pressure plate. I'd do it either way personally but that's a judgement call.

I will say the ACT does hold power. But for the cost and driveability difference, buy a twin disc if you need it to hold. Just my opinion.

THMotorsports

It's a shit clutch. The only reason why people like them is because they hold power. The pressure plate ratings are OVERKILL. We have been using Competition Clutches for years with no problems. I personally have a STAGE 3 in my 91'. It's my daily and I would have to say peddle pressure is the same as the stock one. No hype. Makes for very easy car control.

Thank you.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I don't mind mine. It took a good 4 months the first time I had it to break it in doing city traffic and it was terrible. But Ive learned that once they are broken in they can be decently driven with easy you just need to give it a bump in the revs more than normal and slip it a little more. I am using it cause plans are for 700 ft lbs with my build. Yes do the neutral saftey switch over ride, I put mine back on for a drag event and left it on and I had more wear on my thrust than I liked.