Anyone else interested in a vinyl dash cover?

Busted_Knuckles

Oct 21, 2013
Atlanta
I'm taking my dash apart to replace my heater core. Really hating the thought of putting the dash back in it's current cracked-up condition, I talked to an upholstery shop near me that may be interested in putting together a pattern from my dash for a custom fit dash cover in marine-grade vinyl. I told him I'd post my intentions online and gauge the interest for buying these dash covers once he has a pattern. He's doing mine in Charcoal grey, but can do other colors, even custom colors, once he has a pattern.

If you are interested, drop me a PM. I'll print them out to show the interest out there for these.

Thanks.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If you're going to have your dash out of the car then you need to try to do it on your own. Vinyl fabric, contact cement, heat gun & exacto knife. There's tons of videos on youtube of how to do this. Give it a try. You'll feel accomplished once you do this on your own.

I plan on doing my Roadrunner dash like this. If it doesn't turn out good then I'm out less than $50.

[video=youtube;ANE0dueAXSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANE0dueAXSI[/video]

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
I did something similar to this in my old s10 except I used black crushed velvet. I'll try and find some pics. It's not hard at all and the end result looks amazing if you take your time.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Busted_Knuckles;1976974 said:
I'm taking my dash apart to replace my heater core. Really hating the thought of putting the dash back in it's current cracked-up condition, I talked to an upholstery shop near me that may be interested in putting together a pattern from my dash for a custom fit dash cover in marine-grade vinyl. I told him I'd post my intentions online and gauge the interest for buying these dash covers once he has a pattern. He's doing mine in Charcoal grey, but can do other colors, even custom colors, once he has a pattern.

If you are interested, drop me a PM. I'll print them out to show the interest out there for these.

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat- Have to take my dash out to put a new ac core, and heater core in.
My dash has one long crack on it, and don't want to put it back in like that. I am going to purchase a replacement, but I still want to do something with the old one. I might try and recover it myself. I'm just not sure how easy it'll be to redo a Supra dash, since our vinyl seems to be one piece, covering evrything. Have to study it some more.

Where in Atlanta are you?

Busted_Knuckles

Oct 21, 2013
Atlanta
@Suprapowaz!(2), I saw that video, but look at his dash layout compared to the Supra. We have lots of wraparound and complex contours that makes a one-piece is unfeasible. I don't know how to sew, so I'm looking for someone to sew it up to follow the complex contours.

@Scooter7M, black crushed velvet. Man, that's pimpin'!!!

@supraguy@aol, I'm near Lawrenceville, South of the Mall of Georgia. I'll let you know how this works out. I'm taking lots of pictures.

@Spanish Surprise, I'm using marine-grade vinyl commonly used in upholstery. The video above uses it as well. I found an upholstery supply shop near me that has the best color and texture match to the original interior. I'm also going to use a 3M contact adhesive. I have not decided on liquid or spray yet. I'm leaning towards spray.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Busted_Knuckles;1977601 said:
@supraguy@aol, I'm near Lawrenceville, South of the Mall of Georgia. I'll let you know how this works out. I'm taking lots of pictures.

LOL.
I'm in Lawrenceville, south of the mall too.
Hit me up if you ever need anything. I'm still in full restoration mode for at least another 6 months.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Don't think they made another one, so i'll have to give myself a new deadline, based on another form of armageddon...

How a bout... "Project 'Git'R Done' before the Earth Hits the Sun" ?

Hopefully, that'll give me some extra time...

Busted_Knuckles

Oct 21, 2013
Atlanta
supraguy@aol;1977741 said:
don't think they made another one, so i'll have to give myself a new deadline, based on another form of armageddon...

How a bout... "project 'git'r done' before the earth hits the sun" ?

Hopefully, that'll give me some extra time...

lol!!!