Anyone else have surging issues with SSQVs?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had a brand new, HKS SSQV (the new style) on my car ever since I singled the 1JZ, and ever since I had it, it surged like mad when I let off the gas. It ended up killing two turbochargers in short order. I tried various placements on my intake piping, from right beside the turbo, to right beside the throttle body, but nothing made a difference. Vacuum line is dedicated right off the intake manifold, maybe 8" long, but no help.

I ended up having to open it up, and REMOVE the spring inside to get it to stop surging. I thought this was very weird, and was curious if anyone else has had problems with SSQVs too?

I'm happy I fixed it now though. Now I can put on my brand new GT40.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Rennat;962501 said:
Grim, would you say its "better" to run single/dual bosch 110's instead of a ssqv?
No... I don't think you can get the pure volume of air through that setup that you'd need at higher boost levels.

I'd rather surge at low flow rates than at high.

CK has the right idea though, Tial FTW.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
s383mmber1;962526 said:
Mine used to surge, so i now use TWO vacume lines on the bov, fairly big ones too.

No problems at all :)

How did you do this? My BOV has been fluttering ever since I installed my 57trim CT26...I have tried a few different BOVs, including a stock one, and they are all surging. It's not terrible, but it's not how it should be. My first thought was a vac leak, but my vac gauge shows 20hg/cm at idle. :\

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Rennat;962522 said:
i dont like tial's... they look ugly, and im not running maft pro yet

thats fine. you arnt the OP and this thread isnt about you.

That being said I'd hardly base my BOV choices on "uglyness"

function>form.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
for me its also a price thing...

i know what you mean though, its silly to buy things based on how they look... if i had a maft system, then i would probably run a tial or something like it, but, i have just never liked the videos i've seen of them.

And would a bigger vaccum line to the BOV make a difference?

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
ok i just found this thread but someone please explain the simplest option i have to make it work, i have the updated unit, how does it work with the spring option? do i simply remove the spring?

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I have had an HKS SSQV the older style i guess thats adjustable, never adjusted it right out of the box it has worked flawlessly granted I run between 8 and 11psi since I have stock fuel and HG setup

evilone

they call me Tatter Salad
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
i got the old style hks unit myself and have been running it for over 3 years now and no problems as of yet.