Any tips for Walbro 255 installation on 89 7mgte?

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I have 550's, Lexus afm, ect... I'm doing a fuel pressure regulator and the Walbro 255 this week. Any tips on pump installation so I can skip the headaches?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Best tip I can give you is when you go to remove the fuel pressure line, take the banjo bolt off of the fuel filter, and don't try to undo the line where it looks like you should (theres a metal pipe with a fitting you can undo). If you try to undo the metal line you can easy break it because of how old and stuck it is, and finding another one is no fun. Taking the banjo off the filter is a hell of a lot easier.

Not a bad idea to replace the filter while you are in there. Make sure you look in the tank, it should be clean, if not you need to have it cleaned or replace it.

Make sure you do the 12V mod and run new wiring for the pump.

Other than that dropping the tank and all is pretty damn easy. Just make sure you take the cover off in the trunk and undo the connectors before you try letting the tank down. Also make sure you drain the tank before you drop it, if the tank starts to tilt even a little with fuel in it, it will all slosh to one side and your tank will be slamming on the floor/your head lol.

Hope that makes things easier for you.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
CyFi6;1697612 said:
Best tip I can give you is when you go to remove the fuel pressure line, take the banjo bolt off of the fuel filter, and don't try to undo the line where it looks like you should (theres a metal pipe with a fitting you can undo). If you try to undo the metal line you can easy break it because of how old and stuck it is, and finding another one is no fun. Taking the banjo off the filter is a hell of a lot easier.

Not a bad idea to replace the filter while you are in there. Make sure you look in the tank, it should be clean, if not you need to have it cleaned or replace it.

Make sure you do the 12V mod and run new wiring for the pump.

Other than that dropping the tank and all is pretty damn easy. Just make sure you take the cover off in the trunk and undo the connectors before you try letting the tank down. Also make sure you drain the tank before you drop it, if the tank starts to tilt even a little with fuel in it, it will all slosh to one side and your tank will be slamming on the floor/your head lol.

Hope that makes things easier for you.

This is everything I did last year when I did mine. Listen to this guy and it won't be tough at all!!

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
What's the best way to drain the fuel? I wanted to pump it out electrically, but as I see, the pump doesn't work unless the engine is running.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

7mgangsta;1697696 said:
what's the best way to drain the fuel? I wanted to pump it out electrically, but as i see, the pump doesn't work unless the engine is running.

as i've heard

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
7Matt-GE;1697676 said:
where is link to said 12v mod? im interested as i am doing this eventually too.

Idk if the 12 v mod is necessary at this point but try to google supra mk3 12 volt mod.
I'd just sifon the fuel out from the filler tube but if you want you can give 12 volts to the power wire to run the pump.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Drive it around first. Then just put a 5 gallon bucket under it.

5 gallon buckets are lioke 3$ at home depot too.

7mgangsta

Mar 19, 2011
St. Paul, MN
hvyman;1697788 said:
Drive it around first. Then just put a 5 gallon bucket under it.

5 gallon buckets are lioke 3$ at home depot too.

The pump is weak, running too many upgrades so it can't keep up + It's already under operation.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

CyFi6;1697792 said:
If you jump B+ and FP in the diagnostic box under the hood with the key on it will run the pump

Nice, thanks for the tip buddy, that way I'll just run the gas straight into my daily driver + a can to add when I'm finished.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

I read somewhere that there is an extra two gallons in the tank even when you run it out of fuel. Is this true? If so, must be one purpose for the drain plug...