Any pointers getting to coolant hose?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, while installing my PTE560cc injectors, I managed to damage the coolant hose that goes from the ISC to the pipe nipple underneath the intake runner to#2.

So I obviously need to replace it, since I don't want a coolant leak, but I'm a bit stymied as to how to approach getting to it. If anyone has some helpful advise as to how to approach this thing, I'd love to hear. I removed the alternator in hopes of being able to get to it from the front, but it's far enough back that I still can't see the thing. It doesn't help that things are pretty grimy under there.

My plan is to use some generic 3/8" coolant hose to replace this with, since it doesn't appear that the formed hose is strictly necessary, and maybe a bit of slack in the line would make changing out the ISC a bit easier in future.

So... Any tips?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm with the other guys on the actual hose. As for getting it on, I've forgotten it during a build and had to put it on after the fact, and it was a pain... but it wasn't impossible. Assuming you're talking about the bottom end, not the ISC end, as I recall I lubed up both arms to the elbow to make sliding my hands around down there easier and did it entirely by feel. Sure would have been nice to have one of those camera on a stalk attached to a monitor tools... I keep meaning to buy one of those, the uses for one seem to be endless.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, that might be an option if the whole thing wasn't covered in massive amounts of grime. By feel, I'm having trouble telling if the original constant tension clamp or a worm clamp is installed, let alone getting something on there.

The killer on the actual part is that the local dealers are telling me it'll take a freakin' WEEK. I could wait a day if I had to, but a week? That's more than a bit much. I'll see about an aftermarket cross, I guess.

I think I'm going to give in and take the upper intake off. More work than I originally wanted to do, and I'll need new TB and ISC gaskets, but should be otherwise good. I have the upper intake gasket.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Had one of those moments...

Some time back, I bought one of those eBay silicone hose kits that supposedly has every hose that you need for the engine. So I guess I have a formed hose after all. Maybe I'll change out the one for the throttle body at the same time.

Still going to yank the upper intake manifold. Now the issue is gaskets. Since I had to cut the TB gasket to the right shape anyway, I think I'll just copy it onto a sheet of generic gasket paper.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
He said he pulled the alternator. I just finished installing this hose during my build it was very simple for me because I don't have the alternator on there and everything is clean. What also helped is that my car is on tall jack stands and I found it much easier to access most things from underneath the car first and then finish them off up top if that makes any sense.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I would have been okay if things had been clean, but with them in the mess that they were... pulling the intake manifold turned out to be a good idea.

I could probably manage it again, with things as they are now. I don't know that pulling the alternator would even be needed from under the car. I'd probably do it anyway, since it's relatively easy to do, and does afford more clearance from the topside.