Any opinions/knowlege of a Porche 944?

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Long story short, we (the dealership I'm service manager of) traded for a 1987 Porche 944. It's N/A don't know if it's an S or just a Base 944. It's really clean body wise, and the interior is in decent shape (a few stains on the seats and stuff, no tears in the upholstry or anything that I noticed.) The guy said it has 17,000 miles on a rebuilt engine. We "own" it for $2,500 so I'm pretty sure I can get it for about that. Any opinions?!?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i gotta say ive heard about the 4s too, but come on. cant hold true for every car, every time. and for 2500, you cant go wrong.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
That's what I was thinking...Then I got on Ebay and 944 Turbo engines are going for about $1,000. So, if I can buy into it for $2,500 and get a Turbo engine for another $1,000 and have a 944 Turbo for $3,500ish I think that'd be pretty good. I don't know though...just in the preliminary idea stages. :D

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
they are quick, and expensive, i almost bought two of them at once, one was smashed in the back, the other had a blown hg, i backed out after doing some research and digging arround the cars, parts are a bitch and the $$ will add up fast.

if you have access to a german repair shop or know someone that can source local german cars go for it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
americanjebus said:
parts are a bitch and the $$ will add up fast.

You can say that again. Trust me, owning a Porche can get very expensive very fast. If you find owning one easy, try an older Ferrarri on for size, the maintenance on one of those will REALLY mess you up.

$3000 brake job.
$4500 clutch...

Ask me how I know...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Supracentral said:
You can say that again. Trust me, owning a Porche can get very expensive very fast. If you find owning one easy, try an older Ferrarri on for size, the maintenance on one of those will REALLY mess you up.

$3000 brake job.
$4500 clutch...

Ask me how I know...

How do you know?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Depends on the dash. I belive the one you note has the new style dash, but I find the older dash to be quite nasty. (Has round gauges, where the new one was a large panel with great clear numbers.)

Engines are very stout, but don't really make tons of power by today's standards.
The turbo model is not just the motor. In true Porsche standard, they also have better brakes, and suspension tuning is better on the Turbo than the NA prior to the final years of this vehicle.

I would not buy a 924, or 914, but I would have no issues with a 944 with nice phonedials (*Rims that look like old school phone dials.) Definately if you can get a nice 944 Turbo, go for it. Brembo brakes, better suspension, I like the front air dam, and with some pretty simple tweeks, you can have a nice 300rwhp car with great handling.

If you really want cheaper power, don't do the turbo engine swap. Just pickup a V8 conversion for the 924/944 chassis. They are not expensive, work very well, and will net you a nice small car that handles excellent, and if you put a aluminum SBC V8 under the hood with modern EFI, excellent fuel economy and power is possible.

That being said, my Dad's 1989 944 was a total money pit! The clutch was not bad, but he replaced it to the tune of about 3k. Then he found a seat with no rips, another 250.00. He also replaced a few interior bits that were worn out, and all of that stuff was not cheap. The car was very fun to drive however, and handled great.