Any 2 Wheel Lovers on the forums

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
te72;1874089 said:
Eh, bad choice of trying to run from a cop that decided to pull him over for something silly, then getting scared and stopping. Probably could have gotten away with it, but survival instinct kicked in.

Dual sport? Those seem like they would be fun when road conditions aren't always ideal.

That's just trying to tell you you need more throttle to keep the front a bit lighter. :p

It's fun in any condition;-)

As far as the front end...yeah all bikes dig like plows which is why you sit far back and go like stink!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
gaboonviper85;1874257 said:
As far as the front end...yeah all bikes dig like plows which is why you sit far back and go like stink!
Not being a rider, but having a basic understanding of the physics involved, would that be to help most people keep the bike from dumping them off the back when they get a bit overconfident and twist the throttle too much?

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
Contact patch on a bike is tiny compared to a car so instead of rolling over most debris it will push it or get between it. Sitting back lightens up the front end giving it a better opportunity to go over the sand or gravel as well flattening the rear contact patch some and putting more weight on the drive wheel.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
te72;1874339 said:
Not being a rider, but having a basic understanding of the physics involved, would that be to help most people keep the bike from dumping them off the back when they get a bit overconfident and twist the throttle too much?

No...in that case you sit forward to keep weight up front...if I lean back on my bike and give a handful of throttle the front will instantly come right up...though I am a fat body;-)

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
gaboonviper85;1874529 said:
No...in that case you sit forward to keep weight up front...if I lean back on my bike and give a handful of throttle the front will instantly come right up...though I am a fat body;-)

If I'm riding through gravel or sand I wouldn't be giving it a handful of throttle anyway but I ride street bikes.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i find that the klr likes a little weight on the front on loose gravel... but then again its a tank compared to the dr...
that 705 kit helped it a ton power wise so i can now use the rear steering!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IanC;1874377 said:
Contact patch on a bike is tiny compared to a car so instead of rolling over most debris it will push it or get between it. Sitting back lightens up the front end giving it a better opportunity to go over the sand or gravel as well flattening the rear contact patch some and putting more weight on the drive wheel.

gaboonviper85;1874529 said:
Thanks for the clarification guys, I think I understand now. :)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IanC;1874541 said:
If I'm riding through gravel or sand I wouldn't be giving it a handful of throttle anyway but I ride street bikes.

Dirt bike is a different beast....dirt bikes you generally go as fast as you can over bumpy terrain as it actually makes you kinda float above the bumps and smooths your ride out.

Watch the baja races and you'll see the riders sitting back just floating and flying like hell!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
fixitman04;1874554 said:
i find that the klr likes a little weight on the front on loose gravel... but then again its a tank compared to the dr...
that 705 kit helped it a ton power wise so i can now use the rear steering!

I really like offroading my klr said nobody ever! Lol

Jk...almost bought one but after more Research I figured the dr would be a better choice for me. Even on the highway I have to sit back as if I'm too far forward I get a little steering wobble:-(

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
DSC05271.jpg
My 94 fzr600r whi is my daily driver to work. Ill be riding it year round... hopefully.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
Take your front fender off... It should solve the highway wobble... If it does... Trim about 6-8 inches offof the front and a few off the rear of it.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
fixitman04;1875752 said:
Take your front fender off... It should solve the highway wobble... If it does... Trim about 6-8 inches offof the front and a few off the rear of it.

was already considering that....but whats strange is if i shift my weight back the wobble goes away.....ill probably just get a supermoto fender

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
gaboonviper85;1876019 said:
was already considering that....but whats strange is if i shift my weight back the wobble goes away.....ill probably just get a supermoto fender
by shifting back you are putting less pressure on the grips. that helps the bike gyro out of it.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Make sure you test ride them. Those are very different choices as far as rider orientation. I owned a cbr1000 and loved it my brother has an r1 and I can't stand the seating position.