Antifreeze inthe oil pan, Fresh build, Never even tried to start the motor... Help

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Just finished building my engine and today was break in day. Go to add all the fluids and the radiator takes more than it should have. Stop for a second to check the book, and it should be overflowing by now. Pour in a little more and check every thing. Nothing Pour a little more and get under the car and it sounds like it's flowing into the oil pan. Pop the drain plug and it's full of anti-freeze. Tear the top off and look down the plug holes and there all clear. So I assume that the head gasket is sealed. The radiator was about half full and I think that when it filled up enough to flow in to the block through the bottom hose that it found its way in from there. I have the car hooked up to the air compressor right now blowing air in through the oil cap to dry everything out. The air is blowing out the oil drain plug and the lower hose that is disconected now.

Where should I look, What could cause this, Something in the block ? I am at a loss

What do I do now pull it and rebuild it again?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you have the block checked for cracks?

Pull a plug and see if the pistons are wet.

Got any pics of the engine bay?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
My guess is that the rear timing cover or the freeze plug behind the timing cover is leaking....cracked block generally won't leak fast enough to drain that much coolant in such a short time while the engine isn't running.

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Tops of the pistons are clean, I think it must be a plug or hole leaking water into the pan. As far as doing a compression test, isn't that a bad idea( the whole no oil thing ) and no telling how much water got into the pick-up the oil pan was full of coolant and might have back filled up into the block around the crank and rods. Can I check the same thing without turning the engine/oil pump? But I don't think that I will try it. I am planning on pulling the motor and having all the galleys cleaned and flushed again and inspect every thing for rust/damage. I have spent way to long on this motor to ever feel like I did not half-ass the job to do it any other way.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
My first guess would be the core plug behind the timing cover as well, i cant think of anything else that could drain water into the pan as fast as you could pour it in

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Core Plug behind the timing cover sounds good. The sounds of water falling were definitely coming from the front of the motor. Is there a bolt or something that could have pushed this core plug in.

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Freeze plug on the front of the block was the problem. Got up early this morning and pulled the engine. Stripped it down to the long block and headed to the machine shop. We pulled it down the rest of the way together. He installed one freeze plug buttoned if back up and I am on my back with the fixed engine hopefully it will go be ready to run by next weekend.