Victoria, Australia
I am looking at buying a t4 turbo, specs are as follows
.70 cold side housing
51.99mm ind on cold side
81.74mm exd on cold side
.68 rear housing
73.42mm ind hot side
57.97mm exd hot side

Now I was looking to uprgade to lexus afm and rx7 550cc injectors down the track when I put this turbo on, cars already got bosch 044 and tomei fpr.

My question being is if the standard ECU will lower boost cut with this turbo? i.e more air flower quicker through it in theory the AFM will tell the ECU to cut fuel

Any theories?

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
You will have a lower fuel cut because that turbo will flow more cfm therefore the afm will see the max allowed htz signal at a lower psi. I believe fuelcut is around 1600-ish htZ as per my safc karmann signal. Im guessing your fuelcut will be around 8 lbs?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
On the stock 440's it will be at 8ish 550's should be good for some good power and boost but i'm not sure as every car is different so i can't give you a exact number but should be more then enough.

I've seen people put 500+ whp down with lex/550's

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
NFI on the turbo size, don't know how to read compressor maps, rang a guy in adelaide gave him the specs as I wrote them up the top, he said basically like a hi-flow of what I have.

I was going to use the lex and 550's, but wanted to know how far I could take them before having to to some sort of piggy back basically, or to how much boost I can run before fuel cut, which I know every car is different, so it's sort of a "how long is a piece of string" question

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Lex you should be able to hit like 17-20 psi.

Stock tune is pig rich and will stay that way until you tune it. Better to have something to tune with now then later on. Aem would be a good investment.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the reply hvyman

Would something like a SAFC or SAFC II do the trick? Along with the lexus afm and 550's.

I can live with it being pig rich for a while, better than being lean before I get some sort of control for it.

SAFC's to be going for a half decent price on ebay. I don't have the money to outlay or I would go with a MAFT pro or even full stand alone, I may go with a MAFT system later on if money allows but for the moment was just aiming to use the t4 with the lexus afm and 550's, leaving the SAFC until a bit later or snapping one up now if I come across one for a decent price.

If the Microtech in the Mazda was a LT instead of a MT I could get it remapped, but Microtech will only map the LT series, which is a shame.