Another Rod Knock Thread

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
Been a while since I've been really active around SM...

If anyone remembers, Daryl.P owns a 91 turbo burgundy that's missing some MKIV center caps, but the presence of a Transformers sticker should distract you from it. Long story short, he goes to drop off his sister at school one day and on his way home noticed something that sounded like a jackhammer. The dread of having rod knock sinks in, I find his car in my garage, the engine & tranny get pulled, and I get to taking apart a 7M block.

Ed.D(Super secret) noted it was the worst damage he'd ever seen on a motor. I didn't say much except, "Whoa." and I'll let these pictures speak for themselves.

Are those metal shavings and pieces on the oil pump and all over? You bet.

-Ed.T

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
staticpage;1242411 said:
why do 7M's seem to do this a lot. Is it bad bearing design?

and sorry to see this man sux

Nah, I'll never say that there's something 'bad' about the design of the 7M. The biggest thing that usually goes bad motorwise is the amount of detail and care that goes into it.

This particular motor came out of a Mk3 at the junkyard, and the original motor of the car blew 2 HGs before the the 7M-JYE(junk yard engine) came into the picture. I'm blaming the owner, ;)

-Ed.T

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Running a BHG motor with coolant in the oil is a sure fire way to get follow-on rod knock. Coolant will FUBAR bearings in short order.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Worst damage he's seen? Gosh, he ain't seen nothing yet then. I've done WAY worse than that :D

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I've never seen a 7M spontaneously develop rod knock. Every single time it happens it's one of 2 things: low on oil, or coolant mixed with the oil.

Both of those are caused by owner negligence.

Jeff

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Jeff Lange;1242583 said:
I've never seen a 7M spontaneously develop rod knock. Every single time it happens it's one of 2 things: low on oil, or coolant mixed with the oil.

Both of those are caused by owner negligence.

Jeff

you hit the nail right on the head, jeff.
In this particular case of negligence the problem was not because the motor came from a junk yard but, because the owner came from under a rock. boh ed.T and I tell the him to constantly add oil because of the large amount of oil he is loosing from various leaks. the knumb nuts said he was gonna do it lastweek but didnt have any money.

now, we ended up getting a different block. My friend sold us a short block with .020" bored block, decked and a new oil pump for $100 dollars. I took his original head and got it shaved and all that good stuff. im in the process of getting his head back together as we speak. Only parts im missing is a MHG and ARP studs. So if any of you fine ladies and gents have one lying around please feel free to shoot me a PM.

i got a free set of valve seal from the same friend that gave us the block. so far this build is costing us a whopping....

$220.00

i think im gonna make a build thread and call it "the recession build"

ed.d.