Another paint question

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
SO the hvlp and all the good paint bits fell through, and I only have enough budget to paint my wheels with rattlecan. BUT, i don't want it to look like rattlecan. I've been doing a 9-day process or painting and sanding, and just tonight I got to put a few coats of clear on one of the wheels. After 3 thin coats and letting it set, the wheel is noticeably yellow. I'm using duplicolor wheel paint and this is very depressing. The duplicolor white paint matches very well with my car, but after sanding up to 1500 grit, using rubbing compound and then hand glaze, it's nowhere near as shiny as the rough unsanded clearcoat wheel. So the dilemma is do I go with the shiny bling bling wheels that don't quite match, or do I get the best finish I can out of bare white paint? And am I doing something wrong to make it turn yellow? Here's a pic so you can see, the wheel on the right has the clear:

DSC_9671.jpg

edit: another pic

DSC_9675.jpg

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Looks like you are using a semi-flat white. I do not know if duplicolor sells it, but Krylon makes a bunch of gloss paints and white is probably one of them. Just make sure you spray it absolutely even.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I think the one on the right looks the best. There only seems to be an ever so slight color difference between the wheel and your car. To be honest once you get a tire mounted on there the black color should create enough of a contrast that you won't even be able to notice the color difference.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I think your problem is that you are using paint off of the shelf at like walmart. I dont know how much you will like this, but start over. For a project as small as wheels you dont need a gun. Go to an automotive refinishing store. They can mix you up whatever color white you want and put it into a very nice spraying can. The cans they use are almost as good as a gun. Get the white in a base and then get them to mix you the clear. They can even mix up a fancy high gloss clear. And start with a sandable primer like a gray. I think you will then see the results you are looking for without the gun.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Alot of parts stores around my way do not put them in cans anymore. BUT they do have little spray bottle type things. You pour the paint in the glass. Looks like a baby food jar. Of course you've done either reduced or activated the paint before. Then its similar to a rattle can. Comes out amazingly well too. Can even shoot clear out of them too. That is if you get another spray thing.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
i painted my sawblades white too...(with rattlcan) If you put clear on them, it makes them yellow and it WILL be noticeable...just go with the white paint... the finish is pretty good too...

edit: I didn't sand mine at all, and they came out fine...

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
Ok, I talked to the REAL paint store today (not autozone) and I am going with a single stage color matched paint followed by a few coats of some recommended clear. Should be under $60 for everything, which is about what I've spent on paint so far. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and fuck duplicolor :icon_evil

Justin727

T-virus infected
not bad. It will shrink and harden well and be able to take a little bit of a beating compared to bc/cc. Urethane acts the same but has its on gloss and if sprayed correctly it looks awesome. You can mix clear into the urethane or spray it on top