Another Noob Question...

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Other than stated in the info what do I need to do to make this work, or will it even work with my 7mge n/a
I really want to get my induction away from over the cam covers and away from the headers.

Just an example but I'd like to go this route with my N/A DD
Any advantages disadvantages ? can I keep the stock 7mge n/a AFM with extending the AFM plug cables

http://www.ebay.com/itm/toyota-supra-7m-gte-7m-ge-intake-manifold-7mgte-7mge-/271067124588

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
ryansmith;1879894 said:
Why not ?

Science and Engineering.

I'm no engine design expert, but here's my take: The only reason to have a FFIM on these engines is to allow room for a larger turbo or to keep your intercooler piping on one side. Toyota built the motor like it is for a reason. Notice how the 2JZ GE still routes over the engine in the mkiv Supra and IS300? The longer intake piping allows higher velocity in the intake system and a more equal distribution of air. The FFIM has worse distribution, but positive pressure from a turbocharger helps to force air into every area more evenly than achieved by a light vacuum.

Moreover, on our cars it requires relocation of multiple items including your intake piping, TPS wiring, Cold start wiring, loss of ACIS system (which will yield a strong loss in power by itself), alternator, etc...

I think people have an extreme lack of respect for the amount of time OEM's put into the design of their vehicles. Do you have any idea how many hours of research, testing and design were put into this and every other Toyota since? Highly skilled workers, plenty likely with Master's degrees in engineering focusing on their area of expertise, spent YEARS looking at every part of each vehicle. If they could have simply routed the intake piping differently to create any more power dont you think they would have? ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
On an NA, you'll lose the ACIS going to a FFIM... While peak power will be the same (very doubtful you'd make more power), your powerband won't be as broad.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
suprarx7nut;1879933 said:
Science and Engineering.

I'm no engine design expert, but here's my take: The only reason to have a FFIM on these engines is to allow room for a larger turbo or to keep your intercooler piping on one side. Toyota built the motor like it is for a reason. Notice how the 2JZ GE still routes over the engine in the mkiv Supra and IS300? The longer intake piping allows higher velocity in the intake system and a more equal distribution of air. The FFIM has worse distribution, but positive pressure from a turbocharger helps to force air into every area more evenly than achieved by a light vacuum.

Moreover, on our cars it requires relocation of multiple items including your intake piping, TPS wiring, Cold start wiring, loss of ACIS system (which will yield a strong loss in power by itself), alternator, etc...

I think people have an extreme lack of respect for the amount of time OEM's put into the design of their vehicles. Do you have any idea how many hours of research, testing and design were put into this and every other Toyota since? Highly skilled workers, plenty likely with Master's degrees in engineering focusing on their area of expertise, spent YEARS looking at every part of each vehicle. If they could have simply routed the intake piping differently to create any more power dont you think they would have? ;)

Thanks this is what I was after, clears a lot of things off which I was thinking on. The main reason is where I stand at the moment I have to think before I go ahead (money wise) I'll be removing my induction to clean it all down and remove my spark plugs/replace my cam covers so before doing all that I just needed to know options.

I will clean and polish my induction manifolds, replace the gaskets, replace the cam covers, replace the spark plugs and cam covers put it all back together as before and call it a day I'm thinking. Thanks for the help

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Orion ZyGarian;1879895 said:
I think a heat shield would be much less expensive and give you the results you're looking for. With runners that short, you'll loose what little lower end power you might have

Will look in to this, cheers

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If anything, shield the piping you have now. See the 1977 7mgte Celica in the Other Cars section, in one of his updates, he showed how he routed the intake piping, and shielded it from excess heat. I don't see why the theory wouldn't apply to the NA as well as the turbo car.

Question to the OP though, do you have the stock heat shields on the header?

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
te72;1880083 said:
If anything, shield the piping you have now. See the 1977 7mgte Celica in the Other Cars section, in one of his updates, he showed how he routed the intake piping, and shielded it from excess heat. I don't see why the theory wouldn't apply to the NA as well as the turbo car.

Question to the OP though, do you have the stock heat shields on the header?

Thanks for the reply I will check that out as soon as I can.

No I don't, I have after market headers that are HPC coated - temperature rating of 700 degrees C. I removed the stock heat shields so this is part of my problem now.

The car is super tidy owned it for around 9 months now. The prev owner installed a pod filter with an adaptor made out out a tin can - which I can understand because I finally found an adaptor after looking for months and replaced it, also with a new K&N filter, anyway back to the point it was super rough what he had done and he junked the stock air box.

I also have been getting the parts to re do the induction, but before I spent money just wanted some option. Looks like I will be going with the original plan

pod filter - AFM - silicone coupler - 3" 15 degree alloy pipe, 45 degree reducer and that will be my induction piping. Cleaned up manifolds, replaced gaskets, new spark plugs and get my new cam covers on.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Put some heat shields on the exhaust if you can fabricate a way to make them stay on. Believe it or not, those factory heat shields do work quite nicely. ;)

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
te72;1880733 said:
Put some heat shields on the exhaust if you can fabricate a way to make them stay on. Believe it or not, those factory heat shields do work quite nicely. ;)

Thanks for the advice, pretty well have this sorted now cheers for all the help, and everyone else.