Another no spark question, CPS maybe??

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Ok here's the deal, I searched and got some good info but really just need a little more.

I have put full turbo electronics on my NA, so new to me is the ECU and harness. The rest of the components came of my 87 parts car that had a BHG but would run, although badly.

I have tested all the components as per the TSRM. Ignitor is in spec, Coilpack wires are getting correct voltage, coilpack resistance is a little over TSRM, 0.7 ohm. Spec is 0.3 - 0.5.
Now, CPS resistance is 800-900 ohm between g- and the pickups, TSRM is I think 140-180......

Timing is set correctly and triple checked, although I can't fine tune it as I get no spark for my induction light to use, but CPS is aligned correctly and set in the middle.

NO spark at all, tested visually by grounding each plug to valve cover.

Only code is 24, water temp sensor........

Plugs are wet with fuel...

If i disconnect various things, ie cps or tps, the ecu will throw the applicable code so that, and the fuel delivery leads me to believe I have a good ecu.

Cliff notes.........

Main question if you skipped all the crap above.:icon_bigg

Can anybody verify that my CPS being that far out of spec is enough of a reason to see no spark?

Thanks

Craig.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
Thats very posible. If that is not working, how will the ECU know when to let out a spark? It wouldnt, since that is what it uses to tell were the crank is.

Id go with, get a new one, or maybe find one to try out first.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
againstdawall06 said:
Thats very posible. If that is not working, how will the ECU know when to let out a spark? It wouldnt, since that is what it uses to tell were the crank is.

Id go with, get a new one, or maybe find one to try out first.
i agree. try and find someone with a running car and swap it out (that way you know it works) then if your car works after that, then go for a new one.

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Yep, all grounds are in place. Been burned by that one before:biglaugh:

I guess I am down to replacing components one by one starting with the CPS if I can find one.

Thanks for the replies, and if anyone has any firm knowledge on just how high the CPS resistance readings can be and still get some spark let me know.

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Just incase someone has this question in the future.....

My problem was a bad CPS. Original CPS read 8-900 ohms on the TSRM test.
Replaced with a CPS that has readings of 3-400 ohms and it gets good spark and runs. TSRM says 140-180 ohms is acceptable but apparently 400 ohms still works well enough.