Another BHG Question

DJ 2501

Sep 2, 2009
Ohio
My car currently has a bhg and is running a hks and arp's at stock boost. I bought the car like this and it had a bhg already. According to the guy I bought the car from(who didnt tell me it had bhg) said the hg was replaced 3000 miles ago. Car is doing the usual overflowing of the overflow trick when it hits boost.

I have pulled the cam covers to see if maybe the studs needed re torqued but they are fine. I have read on here that if you dont have the stock block machined then an HKS will not seal is this correct? If so Im guessing this guy blew the stock hg and just slapped an hks on there and some arp's and thought everything would be ok.

What Im wanting to do is pull the head and replace the hg with something that can handle over stock levels of boost so Im going with another mls hg but I dont have the time or money to pull the block to have it machined to seal a HKS.

The head will be sent to a machine shop to check if its warped and correct if needed.

My question is, will no mls gasket seal on a stock block surface? Does it NEED to be machhined if its straight just to seal a metal gasket. If not, what brand mls gasket should I get since obviously the HKS doesnt seal right, or the po just didnt clean the surfaces good enough or didnt send the head out.

Thanks for any input on this.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The HKS gasket you have is one of the better gaskets available for this engine, so I don't think you'll have much luck with another MLS head gasket.

I would suggest buying a stock (composite style) gasket and running the car stock until you can afford to fix it right. No MLS HG will seal correctly until the block and head are both machined perfect. I'm building a medium power 7M myself and I knew to expect big bills to get it working right, but in the end I think it will be very reliable.

DJ 2501

Sep 2, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for the advice. So even if the block is perfectly flush and clean, without machining a mls wont seal?

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
at the moment im having the same problem as you!

the hks gasket is one of the best. im guessing the guy didnt get the block decked? i took the same chance but i had used a straight edge and it was good but it just wasnt good enough so now im doing a refresh during the the next few months :)

a OEM gasket / or cosmetic with Arp studs will be good for what your looking for right now.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
No! If your doing a composite gasket go Fel-pro or Toyota. E-bay head gaskets have not done well even on N/A 7Ms.

Persona

Aug 15, 2009
Warm bench
do NOT ever use a hg from one of those sets! It will last for maybe 300 miles if you´re lucky.

Your best choice is the toyota hg.

DJ 2501

Sep 2, 2009
Ohio
Awesome thanks for letting me know in advance lol. Ill prolly still order the kit because of all the other gaskets in there, I just will toss the hg that it comes with.

Thanks a million everyone Ill post some progress pics when I rip the head off this thing. I just wish they weren't so finicky about sealing a mls hg.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Just get a Toyota set. You know its quality that will last 150K+. Its worth the extra dime for the peace of mind that you won't have a boost or exhaust leak later down the road.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Call Jeff Watson @ champion Toyota in Houston, Tx.
I don't have my phone handy or I'd give you the number.