and so it begins (project car)

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
just got done unloading my latest venture...lots of body rust, dents, a blown engine, moderately torn up interior, among other things were all included in the package....

...but I couldn't be happier

dscf0347lp2.jpg

dscf0346by3.jpg

dscf0345ye7.jpg

dscf0348ig7.jpg

dscf0362du7.jpg

dscf0349ca1.jpg

dscf0350ng0.jpg

dscf0351tu2.jpg

dscf0361pp8.jpg

1981 MkI Celica supra. 5M-E, 5spd, and all major body parts are intact....all for $250 :icon_bigg

the plan is for a nice looking daily driver/grocery getter with a tiny bit of spunk. Basically we need to:

repaint (dunno what color, white seems to look really good though)
engine swap (7M-GE, sorry boys no turbo this time)
brake upgrade (from what allan tells me MkII brakes fit)
suspension upgrade (allan says RA40 celica shocks fit, props to you for the help!)
reupholser most of the interior

that covers almost all of it, it's going to take a LONG while though, I don't like sanding stuff....EVERYTHING electrical in the interior works, even the cruise control, and the un-repairable parts like the dash and door panels are all in extremely good shape. It amazes me just how many cool little things are in this car. I'll post pics of most of them later, but I am completely and thoroughly impressed with Toyota considering it was 1981. When done this will make the perfect daily driver!

....only problem is my head rests about an inch below the headliner, so anybody around 6' tall is going to have to lay the seat back a bit LOL

Last edited:

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
actually the guy I bought it from bought it to fix up too, but his wife got ahold of it and blew the engine up...

who would have thought, eh?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
That's not a 5MGE! isn't it a 4M-E? (people who'd know... ::cough:: jeff ::cough::)

I want a MK1 badly.
Thank you for saving it! White with black 16" mesh wheels with polished lip would be ftmfgdw dood.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
supra90turbo said:
That's not a 5MGE! isn't it a 4M-E? (people who'd know... ::cough:: jeff ::cough::)

I want a MK1 badly.
Thank you for saving it! White with black 16" mesh wheels with polished lip would be ftmfgdw dood.

whoops, it's not a 5M-GE...just a 5M-E, or at least it should be according to the stickers under the hood. Got a little ahead of myself with the extra camshaft! Won't matter anyway because the 5M's being transplanted and probably parted out to people who need but can't find parts for it. Love your idea for the rims though...that would look damn nice!

it would also appear i got the sport/convenience package with it, according to what wikipedia is saying. Jeff could probably confirm this for me.

Oh and here's some more pictures for your viewing pleasure:

dscf0363np6.jpg

dscf0364pu0.jpg

dscf0365xl3.jpg

why didn't we get that? or hell even cargo straps and the antenna in the windshield:

dscf0367tr0.jpg

dscf0366sd8.jpg

original plywood, spare tire, jack, everything:

dscf0368ul5.jpg

dscf0369zg9.jpg

5M-E, or at least it says it is....

dscf0370ij3.jpg

...and the badge, which could use replacing if I could find a mint one:

dscf0371hd7.jpg

hell we've even got the ORIGINAL owners manual with the ORIGINAL reciept for the ORIGINAL purchase of the car....i'm going to track him down and send him before/after pictures of the car :D

08030618271ud4.jpg

Last edited:

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
chriso said:
I remember those cars well. Is that an 8-track player in the dash????

nope, standard cassette. 8-track would be cool though. It actually has a switch that i guess is for two different track materials, since cassette's were on thier way out before i was on my way in did they ever make a metal tape cassette?