and it Begins

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
loki2043 said:
ahhh mark has infested the mkiii scene!! lol. hurry up and get a mkiii and blow your headgasket already!

Hey leave the man alone, if hes got an RA24 hes got good taste...maybe no power...but good taste! :biglaugh:

About the box. Its very nice. Im curious what the cost of the big PVC tubing is. I used to build tube style enclosures only I used MDF rip cut to 22.5* forming a hex shaped tube. Something like that could have been done for the same location. Im just wondering if it would be cheaper. Seems to me that a full round box would give you more airspace allowing for a larger woofer but not by much and I would think the airspace of a hex shape would be adaquate for most speakers. I have to give it props for the cool looks department, almost seems a shame to hide it under the floor.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
theWeezL said:
Hey leave the man alone, if hes got an RA24 hes got good taste...maybe no power...but good taste! :biglaugh:

About the box. Its very nice. Im curious what the cost of the big PVC tubing is. I used to build tube style enclosures only I used MDF rip cut to 22.5* forming a hex shaped tube. Something like that could have been done for the same location. Im just wondering if it would be cheaper. Seems to me that a full round box would give you more airspace allowing for a larger woofer but not by much and I would think the airspace of a hex shape would be adaquate for most speakers. I have to give it props for the cool looks department, almost seems a shame to hide it under the floor.

haha im just giving mark shit! :p

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
Did some bartering for the Pipe its Sewer pipe UN USED :) and yea tryng to buy it is SPENDY $50.00 a foot or so. The catch is you gotta buy it in 12 foot lengths. And while I agree its a shame to hide it its also good to be heard and not seen :) the less visable the less likely somebody is to feel the need to take it. I really cant wait to get it in the car and give it the Real test :) . and there will be a we bit of cool factor Unter the carpet just have to wait and see it :) BTW I told the Builder to Start an acct here and Ill let him speak for him self.

theWeezL said:

PhoenixRyzing

Dec 10, 2006
Eugene, OR.
Hey Hey !
Finally got Authorised to post . I am Cravin's Box Builder/ Electronics Guy . I was involved profesionally for about 15 years in Home and Car Audio and Security. Mainly on the installation end.. and Mostly custom work. Cravin is correct.. I AM anal about my projects. I would like to equate anal with perfect.. but alas.. they do Not equate :)
To respond to theWeezl... Yes.. what I have done with PVC can very well be done with MDF.. and there would be some very good advantages to using MDF. It was a choice to go the way we did... As Cravin mentioned.. KOOL factor being one of them. The gain in enclosure volume IS minimal. At the time I started this enclosure I didn't have a table saw.. which would have made the cits (that you mentioned) very difficult. One of the orther reasons we went this way is that PVC is waterproof.. :) Problem is.. only the tube is PVC.. hence the Rhino Bedliner coating that we are planning on having the enclosure coated with. As with all things in my life at this time.. the most important factor is Having Fun :) That has played a large part in doing what we are attempting to do . To answer another question I remember, Yes.. we HAVE calculated the port size.. every way from Sunday.. and will test the enclosure for both resonant frequency and restive frequency.. see where we are exactly.. and compensate with port length accordingly :) I also have a program that is a new version of one I used to use.. and if I can figure out how to use it.. will give us much more info on the enclosure than we ever want to know.. hehehe
OK.. Nuf for an intro.. feel free to ask questions on any field of the above stated profesions and I will be glad to answer any I can.. and will readily admit if I don't know.

PhoenixRyzing

Dec 10, 2006
Eugene, OR.
loki2043 said:
I got a question! how much would you charge to help me design something like that and some speaker enclousers and what not?
The designing wouldn't be very much.. depending on the complexity. The exicution of a design is where all the work comes in for me..hehehe
And that would also depend on what you mean by "speaker enclosures and what not" :)
I believe I made my email available.. it may be best to trade phone numbers and discus exactly what you are loking for.. and come to a mutual agrement on what-not and prices :)
I do everything from very basic stuff to the elaborate.. like vinyl wrapped- free form fiberglass doorpanels.. All depends on what you really want.

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
hey wanna know how to piss off somebody thats building a custom speaker enclosure? buy a new speaker that has differant properties :) Muahahahhaa but its all good Much better speaker for the box bought a diamond D3 with dual 2ohmvoice coils. made it work it's tuned to 37Hz. have a video of the port thats funny as hell Mother Moves some Air.

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
good news bad news

Did the Install on the stereo today and it WAILS.

2 weesk ago the car got rodnock so the motor is not in running condtion.

Current Situation. Stereo was in and is out until I get the motor running not going to leave the stuff in a non running car.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I built an octobox for my tirewell. Its in my build thread somewhere around page 13 or so if you're interested

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
good looking setup ya got :) Ill post some pics tomorrow. here is a pic of the IPOD holder we made to fit inside the console.

Attachments

• Ipod1.JPG
    Ipod1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 28

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Hey thats nice. I need to make a mount for my 20GB portable drive. Its just sitting in the console right now. What I would ultimately like to do is build a slot for it maybe on the console somewhere. I want to be able to slip the HD into the slot and have the connector built into the slot. Push hard drive in = connection and play mode. Pull the HD out for security and adding music or playlists.

(my Kenwood has a built in USB connection, a little slow to start playing on a 20GB drive, but slicker than shit for playback)

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
Yea the deck (Alpine 9857) I have supports damn near everything.
IPOD (I have a 20G ipod) can fully control the ipod from the deck.
BlueTooth for phone Not purchased yet. (can also control other BT enabled devices) (~$200.00)
USB 2.0 (~$200.00) (not gonna buy)
HD Radio (~$200.00)(Might buy)
Satalite Radio (~$100.00)(not gonna buy)

We left room to pull the cable as you have to be able to disconnect it. (it has 2 pinch tabs) but it works well or so far will see when I get the console full of crap hehehehe.

Dell67

allimportendsupra
Nov 22, 2006
portland,or
very nice,i like the idea of stealth.no one can see your raging gear.whould like to see the rare encloser in person.whould you condider some mad porting work for part trade?

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
will be happy yo show ya as soon as I get my car on the road. as for the porting would have to talk to the man that did the work.

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
Well actusally Finaealy got the stereo installed. was funny we my friend was doing the tuneing and turned it up and a woman from down the street came out in the rain to ask him to turn it down. I gotta say it hammers right nicely. we still have to finish building the back deck to support the stock carpet but Dam its nice to have tunes in the car.