Aluminum Radiators and the Factory Fan, Fan Shroud, and Mounts

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Hi,

I am wanting to compile a list of Aftermarket performance radiators which fit the stock fan and fan shroud without modification. Including the auxiliary/A/C fan. I am looking at maybe buying one but want it to fit the stock fan components and the stock mounts. Here is a list of all aluminum performance rads that I know of, just need to know if the stock stuff fits or not.

Koyo - 3 row (53mm core) - Part number R0171
Fluidyne - 2 row I believe (38mm core) part number FHP11-86SUP
Mishimoto - 3 row (2.2" core) part number MMRAD-SUP-86
PWR - unknown core, ~2" core part number PWR1973
Ebay crap - JVT 2" core (pretty sure nothing fits)

I will update this thread as I get more information and we can come up with a conclusive group which fits in the factory mounting locations, using the engine drive fan and shroud, along with the auxiliary fan.

Thanks,
Dave

UPDATE

RADIATORS WHICH FIT ALL FACTORY COMPONENTS - ACCORDING TO FORUM MEMBERS

PWR - 57mm core- part number PWR1973
Fluidyne - 38mm core - part number FHP11-86SUP

Last edited:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ x2. Only thing id recommend is sealing the shroud to the radiator with some weather stripping... And i have the tacoma clutch fan, puts the fan a tad bit closer to the radiator.

Can any one confirm the 1 or 2 row fact on the fluidynes? Their website lists it as a single row for the mkiii.
Whats stock?

Fin counts would be good too!

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
only koyo i know of is a 53mm R core, Doesnt state the multipass N at the end of the prodcut code either... so im not sure if its 2 row.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Ok, with regard to Koyo, the part number in question is R0171, which I beleive I read was a 3 row radiator. Please correct this if it is wrong. I am having trouble finding the one which I thought was a 2 row so maybe I had two websites which were both referring to the R0171 but listed different numbers of rows. Once someone with one chimes in we can update the actual number of rows for this radiator.

Dave

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
to much bs out there to get a definite answer...
Koyo part number Rxxx denotes the 53mm core. If its a multi-pass radiator there should be an N on the end of the part number...

look http://www.koyoradracing.com/about/technology.asp

and now the one for our cars..http://www.koyoradracing.com/products/radiators.asp?make=Toyota

Look at the radiator for the 180sx, clearly denotes a multipass with R core.. Look at the part number too. 180 sx core first one on top left.

I cant find anything from the manufactor that says its 2 row.. Only place im seeing that from is vendors on the web. The more i dig, the more i get the feeling a LOT of people are buying/bought based on bad data...

Same goes for the fluidyne. Word throught the grapevine is that their QC has gone to shit lately... Their website clealr states the mkiii is a single row. FHP11-86SUP part number, second to last product listing. (scroll down) Fluidyne specs

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
fluidyne part numbers show the rows in the first #. FHP30 is 3 rows, FHP20 is 2, FHP11 is 1 row.

Now i haven't bothered to call the manufactures but considering this is DIRECTLY from their website, I'm inclined to consider it accurate over other vendors..

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I just bought a Mishimoto radiator, and I've yet to test fit everything. (It's still sitting in the box in my garage).

I can tell you for a FACT that it's a three core radiator! It looks like it'll fit fine, and it has all of the mounts for the auxiliary fan and shroud. I'll report back with the fitment when I test fit it in the car.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I will update the original post with this. I am really wanting fitment information on the mishimoto as it seems to have all the features I am looking for, and a big core, for a good price point. Also I am not sure if others care about this but should we add the drain cock to the information link? I really like having the drain cock on the rad so you don't have to pull the hoses. I am pretty sure the mishimoto has the drain.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Yes, the Mishimoto does have the drain; and the plug comes from the factory with teflon tape on the drain bolt's threads.

I took the stock radiator out today, and will take some comparison pics tomorrow; and start test fitting the radiator to make sure everything bolts up/fits. (Of course, the rubber grommets that the radiator sits in at the bittom will need to be shaved a bit so the hood will still close; but that's the only fitment issue I'm hoping to face).