Aluminum Radiator....

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
My Radiator is nearing the end of her life, and is going to need replacing in the very near future. Is it worth it since its getting replaced to upgrade to an Aluminum Radiator? My supra isnt hugely modded, so is it justifed for the extra cost? Any input on this would be greatly apperishated :1zhelp:

88guy

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you think an aluminum radiator is pricey, then you haven't priced the stock unit. For the record, copper/brass transfers heat faster, which is why it was used OEM, until the tightening of CAFE. Aluminum weighs less, and you can make a bigger core without a big weight increase.

And then there is the dissimliar metals in an acid issue.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Copper/brass with old coolant that registers a specific gravity of the kind you don't want, has had coating issues with iron block and aluminum head. Specifically, the aluminum. That is one reason GM was using aluminum/aluminum. In addition to the weight.

Aluminum is the benifit here. Don't misunderstand. It doesn't transfer heat as fast, but you can have a bigger core, more than making up for it without weight gain.

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Drops right in worked amazing well. Id say cooled the car 35-40% better then the stock unit. Id highly recommend this product. I sold my supra but the new owner of the car hasnt had any problems with it.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
87M-GTE;1365361 said:
Both these companies make radiators for our cars.. I don't have any personal experience with either of them.

http://www.griffinrad.com/index.cfm

http://www.mishimoto.com/

Griffin radiators? One of the primary folks that supply NASCAR with their monster radiators/oil cooler systems? Call them up and they can make you a CUSTOM radiator to what ever measurement you want and charge you accordingly?