aluminum radiator question

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
Just wanting to know if a 3 core aluminum radiator off ebay will fit without issues like the stock fan not hitting it and mounting?

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
I got an eBay 2 core. Fit fine with room to spare. But, if you haven't replaced your coolant hoses, be prepared for coolant leaks. As soon as I replaced my radiator, almost half of my coolant hoses failed. What a pain that was.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
Ok sorry for the quick post but what i want to know is will a three row aluminum radiator fit good on my 89 supra. it still has the stock fan and stock secondary fans i was wanting to know if the fan would hit it and if it would be a drop in like the stock one

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
585Soup;2050326 said:
I got an eBay 2 core. Fit fine with room to spare. But, if you haven't replaced your coolant hoses, be prepared for coolant leaks. As soon as I replaced my radiator, almost half of my coolant hoses failed. What a pain that was.
Did you use the eBay radiator cap? Or some other higher pressure cap? The radiator itself shouldn't make a difference in your hoses, but a high pressure cap sure would.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
suprarx7nut;2050417 said:
Did you use the eBay radiator cap? Or some other higher pressure cap? The radiator itself shouldn't make a difference in your hoses, but a high pressure cap sure would.

i used the one that came with it. it was rated for 16PSI, which is what stock should be. but my original radiator was leaking, the top hose never gained pressure. so once i filled the system with actual pressure, the hoses started to fail

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jetjock;2050437 said:
Stock is not 16 psi. Iirc it's .9 bar

585Soup;2050436 said:
i used the one that came with it. it was rated for 16PSI, which is what stock should be. but my original radiator was leaking, the top hose never gained pressure. so once i filled the system with actual pressure, the hoses started to fail
Yeah, there's the problem. Stock is around 12-13 psi. That extra pressure will cause unnecessary leaks. Swap that annoyance out for a correct pressure cap. Use the high pressure one as a paper weight. ;-)

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I have a 1.3 bar cap. All it changes is that water can be hotter before boiling and be released into steam.
No leak problem for thousands miles with the cap. In fact, there is no reason to change, except my stock cap was broken.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Rollus;2050454 said:
I have a 1.3 bar cap. All it changes is that water can be hotter before boiling and be released into steam.
No leak problem for thousands miles with the cap. In fact, there is no reason to change, except my stock cap was broken.

Your bolded statement is true unless you have a minor weak spot in a cooling system seal somewhere. At that point the higher pressure cap acts as a leak tester that will point out leaks that may not have existed. It's a leak checker for leaks you shouldn't have to worry about.

Besides, the higher boiling point isn't a huge benefit unless you have a strange cooling deficiency on a 7M. Maybe during low speed autocross on a blistering hot day in Phoenix or the middle east would it be an issue, but otherwise I think even the OEM, skinny radiator has plenty of cooling capacity for the 7M.

It's not a big deal, but I think it's a worthwhile PSA to everyone that may not realize it. The higher pressure caps are unnecessary and may cause leaks. It's in a similar category to the idea of running a lower temp thermostat to get the engine to run cooler. Some folks may not realize they're actually doing more harm than good in most situations.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
Your best answer would be asking the seller of it to measure the thickness. I'm going to have to assume yes since I have quite a bit of room with mine, even though it's a dual core, 3 core isn't much bigger. Why go with 3? 2 is plenty enough.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
suprarx7nut;2050488 said:
Your bolded statement is true unless you have a minor weak spot in a cooling system seal somewhere. At that point the higher pressure cap acts as a leak tester that will point out leaks that may not have existed. It's a leak checker for leaks you shouldn't have to worry about.

Your bolded statement is true unless you don't have a temperature increase to increase pressure.

Pressure in the system shouldn't be the pressure of the cap. Max pressure in the system is the one of the cap.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Supraboy89;2050527 said:
Im glad im gettin help? WTF
Here they are:

585Soup;2050326 said:
I got an eBay 2 core. Fit fine with room to spare.

jetjock;2050421 said:
Nor does he likely need a three row...

585Soup;2050536 said:
Your best answer would be asking the seller of it to measure the thickness. I'm going to have to assume yes since I have quite a bit of room with mine, even though it's a dual core, 3 core isn't much bigger. Why go with 3? 2 is plenty enough.

The rest was about pressure in the system regarding 585Soup statement:

585Soup;2050326 said:
But, if you haven't replaced your coolant hoses, be prepared for coolant leaks.

SaucyTuRkLeBiRd

Jan 13, 2014
Monash, ACT
Oh my GOD! People please he just wants to know if the radiator will fit with no issues. Stop bombarding his thread with useless crap! Rant over. Now, if you look at the 3 core radiator off ebay youll notice the top tank is square and the stock brackets wont bolt on. You need to make your own brackets. (Which is pretty simple) It will however fit in without fouling on anything... But my friend installed one and i think he had to relocate and use a different overflow? Or maybe he did that because of something else..?? Anyway it does clear the clutch fan etc etc. The 2 core radiator however has the mounting points in the top end tank. It will be a direct replacement and take only like 10 mins to install. Unless your cars auto. :) -Dan

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
If you read the post above yours, we gave him answers. Clearly no one has a 3 core. The over flow shouldn't be impacted. Maybe if he put a front mount on it. But the over flow is on the other side of the condensor. Just make sure you buy an oem replacement style. It should have two half moon mounts on each end. I think saucy's friend installed a FMIC and had to make brackets and relocate the over flow. Not the radiator. Yes they look similar. So I understand your confusion

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SaucyTuRkLeBiRd;2050996 said:
Oh my GOD! People please he just wants to know if the radiator will fit with no issues. Stop bombarding his thread with useless crap!

Well, he can buy and see. Or he can take the advice of not wasting money. Your post was a waste of time and bandwidth, and a primary example of all wrong in automotive. Including a random place like a Firestone service center, where they employ people who don't know what they are doing/don't have the aptitude necessary.

SaucyTuRkLeBiRd

Jan 13, 2014
Monash, ACT
Uh no sorry. None of you gave him the right answer all you did was say "ask the seller" and explained that a 2 core fits and not to use a 1.3bar cap... I actually answered his question directly. ("Will it fit without hitting the fan?.. will it mount right up?"...) Yes a 2 core is a direct replacement, a 3 core needs aftermarket brackets made. As long as youre not auto then they will go right in with no issues. Im one of those guys who really gets the sh**s when i ask a simple question and nobody can give me an answer and instead all i get is people starting their own conversations and not helping. And yea i remember now he relocated the overflo because he upgraded the intercooler.THANKYOU. edit* Nick, now he doesnt have to "buy and see" he knows the info now. As MYSELF and another friend run the 2 core and another mate of mine has the 3 core. No way is either option a "waste of money"