Alternator replacement

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
HELP!!!! I'm trying to fix my 86 MK3 Supra the alternator have out and I've been reading that I should get a 150-200 Amp alternator does anyone know what is compatible with my car to get that amp. Please let me know ASAP .

93aae63680cb1761f92da8b8a6c79a5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
you bought a new OEM and it still drained the battery? or you saying the original OEM drained it, and that's why you looking for another?

Original OEM - yes redundant

Last edited:

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
It already had an OEM Bosch alternator and that drained the battery. I've checked all the grounds and that's the only thing that makes sense . I'm also planning to take the stereo out to go with a screen stereo as well as new speakers . Eagle auto electronics they make 200 amp alternators for $150 so I plan to get that it's the same price as OEM alternator

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
What on earth kind of amp are you running that overpowers an oem alternator so damn fast? There are aftermarket companies that make higher output alternators, but maybe there's another problem if you're consistently draining batteries while driving the car.

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
It's a stock mk3 that's been sitting for 2 years so I'm doing a full over haul I've been reading on supra forums that more amps is good for stereo systems and brighter light.

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
That's my only conclusion. So I got the alternator it's a plug and play made by eagle auto electronics

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jshjuarez;2058404 said:
It's a stock mk3 that's been sitting for 2 years so I'm doing a full over haul I've been reading on supra forums that more amps is good for stereo systems and brighter light.

Oh, I think I misunderstood. I thought you had a massive car audio setup and needed the 200 amp alternator. Factory alternators for the mk3 are 70 and 80 amp. Driftmotion sells a 140 amp alternator as an upgrade. 200 amps seems incredibly high unless you're building a car solely for audio competitions or something.

I'd recommend just a standard Denso alternator unless you really need to go nuts with the stereo amplifiers.

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
It's not that I want to go nuts but I'm slowly building up the car I just want really clean audio and would like to know that it won't be a problem drift motion sells the 140 amp for the same price as the 200 amp so win win getting the bigger one just incase

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
I used a shitty NAPA alternator for a year with a sweet audio setup and never had an issue... but if you insist, the driftmotion one is nice. I also recently was given a 1jz alternator. Had a machine shop bore out the pulley from my 7M alternator and it's working nicely for me also.

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
Yeah so I got the new alternator and I have to say it works great what had happened is that the 100 watt fuse kept blowing out do to that the battery kept draining so I ended up makeing a better relay and just bought 10 100 amp fuses just in case but the car runs great now