alternator problems

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
So i check voltage between positive and the stud on the alternator right? That's when its running or when its off?
Also anybody know about the connector? If its just the two wires that are reversed would it cause the light to go on?because it broke off last. Year but i fixed it back following a picture that could be wrong.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
i ran the car for at least...a year, drove it couple days ago before my IGF wire came loose causing the car to die on me. fixed that up and then my alternator didnt want to charge, tested it and it showed a low charge (charged only beow 12v) replaced and its charging again but the lights are still on. it was off when i drove it for a year and a couple days prior.

btw- found out my L and IG is switched around from the TSRM, thats why i was figuring out if the connector i see on TSRM is the pin side or the wiring side. im going to switched them up and see if the light goes off. dont know how but they are switched around. PIN2 and PIN3, but it ran fine before.

cp91t

Visionary
Jul 21, 2009
bay area, CA
i have done no work to my 91 lately, save for replacing a battery a couple months back (driven approx. 800 miles since). during that time on a long trip those exact same three lights you mentioned would come on for a few minutes, then go off. then the other day they came on and did not go off. Stupid me thought not much of it and it crapped out on the side of the freeway (after a good 30 miles or so). not a fun place to be stranded! It was acting exactly like the alternator had failed, all lights dimming slowly (but quickly) at the end. you said you replaced yours already? i'll be checking back to see what solution you came up with

Travis Guy

Jun 11, 2012
Santa Cruz
The same thing happened to me after I did a rebuild on my 7m. The battery, tail light, and handbrake lights wont go off. For me I think its the alternator connector the wires look really weathered and frayed but i cant figure out how to remove the 3 terminals from the connector?