alright time to debate

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
here it is guys... I'm looking to make a nice street set-up. I'm already dead set on using the stock TB and intake manifold... but concerning torque and response I'm assuming you would want a cast exhaust manifold... (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the real question is what turbo to use.... all I'm really looking for is good power delivery for about 450hp give or take... so any advice or input would be greatly appreciated :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Cast manifold is simply more durable (generally), torque is based off turbo selection (how fast it spools) and response is crap on a turbo car and always will be :rofl:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hey now!!! I COULD make an external roll cage out of functional intercooler pipe... what of response then??? so no suggestions on who an excellent vendor is?

and you guys mean to tell me that my torque output would be the same if I used a tubular mani over a cast one (stock or HKS)??

I do agree with supraguy though.... lag is awesome... HOWEVER good response is crucial for a good street car.... so with that in mind.... would you guys recommend going with higher comp. and lower boost?

basically I'm going over everything I can think of to make sure this project turns out exactly right

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You are making this more complicated than it really is.

Just get a good turbo...ball bearing....if response is your goal and don't get a turbo that will flow 700 hp if you're only going for 450....bigger is slower down low.

As far as manifold goes....cast stock mani keeps the turbo close to the head which means exhaust will be traveling less distance and will be hotter "really such little difference it's not worth the consideration for power gain". If you want durable and cheap stick with stock.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hrm.... yeh I might just stick with stock :-| I know I want a little bigger turbo though ( thinking t4 57 trim w/ .58 A/R hot) .... still severely undecided though... that's why I was wanting input... but I'm just getting vague opinions....

Oh, and yeh you're most likely right... My IQ is a little steep... as a result I have a fair deal of mental issues, and I do tend to overthink.... just puttin that out there.

Funny I thought there would be a debate. I forgot how you guys on here are so much more civil and respectful than most people you encounter.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
89jdm7m;1895866 said:
( thinking t4 57 trim w/ .58 A/R hot)

That is the same as the now defunct Boss Jr.

As for engines, a long tube header on all engines makes more power all through its rpm range. That whole scavenging thing. A stock manifold on any car that is a log hurts power all through the rpm range. Think of that part first. The hot gasses expanding while cooling is what drives the turbine. Not the movement of the exhaust pulse from being pushed out by the piston.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supraguy@aol;1896208 said:
Hot exhaust gasses expand when they cool?

Energy always tries to equalize. They cool as they expand. And of course there is balancing needs and trade offs. You do want the turbine as close to the engine as you can, and at the same time you want equal length, no changes in sizes, and the other characteristics of a tubular.