Alright...Im lost..Possible BHG?

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
The other night i was driving on the freeway and then i was at WOT for about 10 seconds at most.
Once i got off the freeway i felt HORRIBLY rough idling.
I continued as i couldn't pull over at the Ramp-Off.
I noticed i had lost ALOT of coolant, it was all over my I/C and OVerflow was full.
I didn't think it could be a BHG at the time, i was trying to stay positive.

Then i let the car cool down and i refilled my radiator with, oh lets say ~2 Liters of water.

It was at night so i couldn't inspect things very well, so i started it and drove to the gas station which was one block down the street for better lighting, and i did not have any milk on my oil cap, i did have white smoke out of my exhaust, whether it was Smoke or Steam i am not 100% sure of.

I had the car towed to my shop today, and then i started to take things apart and i noticed alot of oil in the Spark Plug Valley, after i cleaned that all up i pulled the plugged and they were disgusting, then again, they were wet, but i am not 100% of it was from Water or Saturated from all the fuel since it was such rough idling.

Now my uncle told me that if coolant got into the cylinders that they'd be really clean as they would get a sort of "Steam cleaning" Is he correct? Idk.

But if so, i looked down into the cylinders with a light from the spark plug hole and i didn't see anything cleaned off. Idk if im making any sense.

This coming week i will do a compression check as i ran out of time today to continue working on it..

Any other suggestions on what i should do or diagnose in order to clear things up?

Thanks in Advance,
Jose

xXmetallicaXx08@hotmail.com

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
my tip is to take of the radiatorcap when enginge is cool, then start the engine. If water spurt out of the radiator you most likely have compression leaking out into coolingwater.
You can often smell exhaustgases in the radiator aswell.

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
pln;1436184 said:
my tip is to take of the radiatorcap when enginge is cool, then start the engine. If water spurt out of the radiator you most likely have compression leaking out into coolingwater.
You can often smell exhaustgases in the radiator aswell.

Yeah my suggested that when I already a bit down on the engine but a compression check should throw some number for me right? I wouldn't wanna put things together again and have tear it up again.
How else would oil get into the spark plug valley other then possible valve cover gasket/grommet?

Mobius1

I'm rich.
Aug 12, 2009
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
I had the same list of symptoms with my mk3 before i tore the head off to find a BHG. As for your oily plug valley, punt that rubber gasket and torque down those hex plugs good you wont see oil there anymore.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
There is no other way for oil to get to the spark plug valley unless its through the valve cover gaskets. Thats the highest point in the engine that oil reaches.

Correct me if Im wrong anybody.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Do compession check that should shed light on whats going on. The oil might come from the hex bolts on top check they might be loose.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Agreed, compression test will tell all. Plus taking the radiator cap off method works good too.

Another thought is a cracked ring? since the oil cap hole is baffled you should be able to let the motor cool completely, take the oil cap off and see if there is any positive airflow out of the valve cover? i.e. blown ring, all the BANG goes into the crankcase instead of out the exhaust. Idk, just a thought.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
defanitly do what the others said. first start simple, take rad cap off, see if you have compression in the coolant passages.

2nd do compression check. this will test the state of your block. as asked from above ^^^^ did it get hot? also what hg is on it, composite or mls? head bolts or studs?

my supra had an overheating prob and EVERYONE pointed to the bhg thing. when in fact it was the turbo. it is possible for the turbo to crack in such a way that it will let compression/boost into the engine coolant, or simply let coolant out down your downpipe.

your question about the coolant "steam cleaning" the plugs is correct, however it isnt neccasarily an immidiate effect.

let us know what you disscover. i live close by if you need a helping hand.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Another thing to look for while doing the compression test (you should also do a leakdown test) is to leave the radiator cap off, and watch for bubbles. Also leave the oil dipstick out, and listen for air escaping. This will tell you which part of the gasket has failed, if any.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
johnathan1;1436919 said:
Another thing to look for while doing the compression test (you should also do a leakdown test) is to leave the radiator cap off, and watch for bubbles. Also leave the oil dipstick out, and listen for air escaping. This will tell you which part of the gasket has failed, if any.

....humm.... duly added to the *check this* file. nice idea man. :bigthumb:

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
Thanks for all the help guys, sorry i havent been on to reply to everyone.
We had a power outage from like 7pm to like 12pm the next day.
I havent got a chance to head down to the shop.
If i recall, i didn't see my car run hot, as far as my knowledge goes, it was a really hectic night.
When i get back down here, hopefully friday morning, saturday forsure, i will do a compression check and throw some numbers on the table.
I am super confused as to what happened.
HD is Stock, Head bolts are stock.
Its basically all stock, and those Hex bolts that were holding down that spark plug cover came off rather easily, is there a torque spec or just leave them tight?

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
koldfire08;1438176 said:
Thanks for all the help guys, sorry i havent been on to reply to everyone.
We had a power outage from like 7pm to like 12pm the next day.
I havent got a chance to head down to the shop.
If i recall, i didn't see my car run hot, as far as my knowledge goes, it was a really hectic night.
When i get back down here, hopefully friday morning, saturday forsure, i will do a compression check and throw some numbers on the table.
I am super confused as to what happened.
HD is Stock, Head bolts are stock.
Its basically all stock, and those Hex bolts that were holding down that spark plug cover came off rather easily, is there a torque spec or just leave them tight?

Head Gasket is stock and Stock head bolts??????? I can say... 99% its a bhg. They have test kits that test for exhaust gasses in the coolant.
but from your overflow being full and coolant all over your intercooler.. it seems like bhg to me.. cuz thats what happened when mine was blown

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
When doing the compression test make sure the engine is warm TSRM, you can get lower than usual numbers on cold engine. You can also try coolant psi test, if the hg is blown, when pressured it can push the coolant into the cylinder(s) it will also be helpful to see if the turbo housing is leaking as stated in earlier post.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
If you got the money and time changing the head gasket would be good for future upgrades. The only downside is you need to completely bare block the engine and head and have all surfaces machined, if using mhg. The advice i got on here, since iam using an oe gasket, is you can just clean the block and head make sure there is no warpage on either and use an oe. Word is that can handle up to a certain amount of upgrading, not sure of the threshold though. But will find out soon.