Almost burned my car to the ground

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I was driving to work and had just gotten off the highway, and my radio starts turning off and on. I think- hmm must be a loose wire. Just then, I see thick white smoke come out from under the hood. My first reaction, naturally, was to look at the temp gauge, but it was happy as can be. Then I smell it- definately electrical. I pull into a parking lot and shut it off, and pull the hood release. I open the hood and can't even see the engine through all the smoke, let alone whats burning. I grab a towel and fan the smoke away, and when it clears, I see the 8 gauge power lead to my amplifier is now just a bare, roasted mess! I try to pull the lead out of the positive battery terminal, but it's too tight. I jump back in the car and grab an alltrade tool, and cut the wire right at it's base. The smoke clears up, and I see that the cable is charred all the way around the engine compartment, to where it leads into the cabin by the ecu harness. I think what had happened was that the cable was loose near the firewall, and it came into contact with the downpipe, causing the wire to short. Once it did, the insulation burned off all the way around the compartment, and it was shorted everywhere. I cut and peeled it all out, but wherever this cable was lying on another group of wires, those wires are looking a bit melted as well. So now I have to go in and conduct damage control, and see what else needs replacing. The smoke was inside as well, telling me that the damned amp wire burned up possibly all the way back to the amp itself! Oh well, it could have been MUCH worse.
:3d_frown:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Oh it's not that bad to look at, just worried about the harness' status. On a bright note, the car runs fine, and there's no apparent side effects whatsoever, aside from the fact that I have no radio now...

Yes, I did fuse the wire, but back at the amps. The 8 gauge went into a fuse distribution block, so I'm not worried about the amps, but obviously that's not much of a safegaurd against what just happened. I will be putting in an inline fuse next to the battery now.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
EDIT: You answered the question about the fuse.

Always have an inline fuse on any positive cables (that you run) no more than 6" away from the battery.

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
That's crazy. I had the same thing happen in my dads truck(82 toyota pickup)... I was driving in the snow and there was an exposed wire which happen to touch another exposed wire and burned have the harness off! Well after about an hour and a half re wiring the dame thing, it finially started up. Crazy stuff when your driving and smoke starts pooring out!

89tMike

She’s getting there
Jun 23, 2007
Tampa Florida
It could have been MUCH MUCH MUCH worse! I seen a few cars burn to the groud because of sloppy wiring of audio/video equipment.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
you got lucky.. my buddys car did that once (honda civic).. his anternator cable going to the batter rubbed on his axle (he made it too long) and grounded to the engine.. the ground wires caught on fire.. Luckily they were on top of the egine so we could easily get to them and put them out

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, I learned my lesson about being nonchalant with wiring considerations.
I had all my connections secure using correct connectors and good routing, but
I didn't consider running the fuse with regards to a short circuit, only to protect the electronics. That's why a second fuse is going in now.

RyDeFly

Aug 5, 2006
Westminster, CO
Yeah, I learned my lesson
That second fuse is nice and all, but you almost had a fire...
If I were you, I'd be looking to pick up a Class B & C fire extinguisher.

No guarantee next time won't have some fuel involved...

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
tell yourself that your lucky, and that it didn't end up like my 89 2 years ago
(sorry for the thread jacking)
p940137_1.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good point-
I will be grabbing me a fire extinguisher.
Even if you're not worried about your wiring, it's still a great bit of insurance.