Alarm Problems

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Hey Guys,

I have an '88 Supra Turbo Targa with almost all of the options including the factory installed alarm (if that's not standard).
Well the problem is that the alarm randomly goes off. I lock the car and it will be quiet for a while but then at some unsuspecting moment the alarm
starts blaring in the middle of the night. Just today it did it once in a parking lot, once about 30 minutes after I got home and then after resetting it, it did it again about 4 hours later.

Mods:
Intercooler Kit
3 inch downpipe
Cat delete
Lexus AFM
Waiting for 550cc injectors (A/F is still a little rich)
Aeromotive AFPR set to 37 at idle
Manual Swap (Auto ECU) I was told it wouldn't cause a problem
A/F Gauge (going to get wideband later)
New radio and speaker set (If it would matter to the alarm)

Does any know how to fix the problem or if this is a severe problem? I need to lock my car (in a not so good area for the next few days)

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
leave the doors unlocked, lol. easiest way anyways...i know its not an option. there should be some info in here about installing an aftermarket alarm, if you search im sure youll find something similar and instructions inside on how to remove the factory alarm.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Door pin switches tend to fail open, that is, they would fail to activate the alarm, even if the door opens. Not likely that one of these is causing false alarms, unless your door strikers are completely fubar.

I'm not familiar with the TTDS hood pin switch, as it was not offered up here, but I would guess that it's a ground switch, probably on the hood latch. This has a far greater chance of an intermittant contact, which would cause a false alarm. Disconnecting it could therefore solve the problem, though it would leave the hood unprotected. (I'm actually interested in aquiring a factory hood switch for use with my aftermarket alarm.)

A good cleaning of the switch itself would likely have good effect in fixing problems.

Alternately, you can have the system never arm at all by grounding the hood pin switch wire. This tells the TTDS that the hood is open all the time, which prevents it from arming at all.

Wiring in an aftermarket shock/glass break/proximity sensor is pretty easy. They send a ground signal, so one need only wire it with constant power and connect the signal line to the hood switch.

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You don't want to ground anything. On the contrary.

All triggers are N.O. (I agree, dumb).

All trigger inputs are active low. So are arming and cancels.

Iirc hood is magnetic reed. Unplugging to disable arming was what I was getting at.