Alarm keeps going off...Supra won't start... :(

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Lately, my supra has developed some sort of electrical issue, I'm assuming...

At first, it was just a couple odd times when the car wouldn't start (turn key, and nothing happens, no cranking, no click, nothing.) I would leave it for a while, come back, and it would start perfectly.

Well, now it has gotten to the point where I can't drive my car at all...(I have an aftermarket Ungo alarm system installed w/keyless entry.) It seems like every time I hit the unlock button, the stock alarm starts going off, and to turn it off, I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position, that always turns the alarm off. But then after I get the alarm to turn off, the car won't start at all...no click, nothing...and I know the battery is fine.

Other times, it will unlock, but the stock alarm (horn honking + headlights flashing) won't honk and flash, but the car still won't start. I'm guessing my stock alarm computer is going bad? I'm not really sure where to start with this one...as I'm not the greatest with electrical work...

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. :)

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
I know with mine it did that and there is a starter relay in the passenger kick panel (green cover on it) theres a button on the top part of it and you have to press it while turning the key to get it to turn on...

Maybe try that?

noredline

Yeah, I'd stands on that.
Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
NewWestSupras;885084 said:
Sometimes the stock alarm has to be reset. Repeatedly lock and unlock the drivers' door with the key. At least 3 or 4 full cycles.

I have this problem more and more during the winter months, friggin embarrising having my alarm go off jumping in real quick to kill it and then looking like an as twisting my key every few seconds to reset....thankfully i live in Arizona and only have to deal with it for 4 months out of the year.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The TDDS system has switches in the key cylinders. These are what it uses to disarm the system. These switches get dirty eventually, and start becoming less reliable, so it becomes possible to unlock the car without disarming the system.

Of course once the system goes off, it won't let you start it. :(

I would suggest a few "fixes"

1. Disable the TDDS and get an aftermarket alarm. Disabling the TDDS is simple. There's a hood pin switch. Cut the wire to that switch and ground it. This will tell the TDDS that the hood is open, and it will never arm. Then use the hood switch for your aftermarket alarm system. :)

(side note: If anyone has the hood pin switch from a USDM car and doesn't want it, I do. I have no end of trouble with the aftermarket hood pin switches, and would love to have the Toyota part.)

2. Take out the door handle and clean and repair the switches. This isn't as hard as it may seem, once the door panel is off, the handle is held in place by a couple of 10mm bolts, and you can get to them with your socket set easily enough (Provided that you have at least 1 3" extension) Some electrical contact cleaner will smarten those up nicely.

3. Get used to unlocking the passenger side door with the key. Normally, the passenger side lock gets a lot less wear than the driver's side, because it's used much less frequently. As a result, the passenger side switch for the TDDS is generally in much better shape, and works just fine.

4. Get a keyless entry solution. The keyless entry solutions have triggers to lock and unlock the power door locks. You simply use the unlock trigger to also disarm the TDDS by tying it into the switch at the lock cylinder. This leaves the TDDS in charge of security, while your $40 eBay keyless entry module gives you the convenience factor. (This can also work with option #1, though I think that generally 2 alarms is redundant.)

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Thanks for the tips...but I already have an aftermarket alarm installed...and my aftermarket alarm is supposed to disarm the stock alarm when I push the button on my transponder remote...But sometimes, it just makes the alarm go off...and sometimes the stock alarm doesn't alert, but the car still won't start... :(