Alarm issue. (with pic)

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
So I've been having an issue with my alarm for awhile now, and decided yesterday to eliminate the problem, or, so I thought. I did exactly as this post says, too no success( see below). This is the "theft deterrent box" right?
If I did exactly as I was directed to what could be the issue? Could it be the door sensor? Because I know I always had to unlock the car from the passenger side to get in. If I didn't, and unlocked it from the drivers side the alarm would sound. If it is the door sensor how could I fix the problem with that? I didn't screw anything up did I? Is It possible I didn't do something right? or I did, and its something else? Any help would be awesome!

33otaxg.jpg

Re: My damn factory alarm...

you have a couple of options here. if the door sensor is NOT fried:

close the door with it unlocked
put your key in the door, then lock it.
wait a minute or so, then unlock it.

when you cycle locking/unlocking the door like this, it is supposed to reset the alarm.

or you could go under the hood of the car, find the two wires that go to the hood sensor (so if someone pops your hood, the alarm sounds) cut them, and splice them together. this will make the alarm think that there is a door open, in which case the alarm cannot be armed.

this is the route i took:

go under the dash on the driver's side. attached to the steering column way up under the dash near the firewall is the alarm computer.

here's a pic of where it is, its called "theft deterrent computer":
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/librar...be/BE_010.html

i completely removed my Theft Deterrent Computer, as there is no need for it to be in the car if i've bypassed the alarm function!

there is a wire you must cut. it is a blue wire with an orange stripe. cut it near the connector, and make an extension to the nearest ground, and ground it well!!!

once you pull out the computer, and ground the blue wire with the orange stripe, your alarm problems will be solved.

if, however you forget to ground that wire, your starter will not engage when you turn the key. it is the ground for the starter that the alarm cuts to disable it.

edit: to add some more info.

-shaeff

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
There's another wire under the hood that you have to cut and splice together. The open hood sensor or something like that. I'll look on the TSRM to see if I can find a pic for you

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
BE_009.gif

The farthest most switch. Unplug the connector, cut the connector off (make sure you leave enough wire on it should you want to wire it back in) and then splice the two wires together and put some electrical tape around it for short term, but get some shrink wrap and solder the wires together and cover it with the wrap for the long term.

I'm gonna go take a look at mine real quick and make sure that the two wires need to be put together (I'm 95% sure they do, but I don't want you to mess up your electrical system on my account)

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
...thats it? Whew! thought it was something else, something worse. Also whats a good place to ground the wire from the theft box? I decided to ground it on the bolt securing the gas pedal, that good?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Wait...have you even checked your lock sensors that are clipped to the back of the lock cylinders in the doors?? It sounds like your driver's side one fell off. This happened to both of my two Supras, and the alarm would go off just like you said.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Yep, that should be it. Did you try starting it without grounding the wire or something? In that case, yeah it wouldn't start, haha. But I would pick a chassis ground over anywhere else or if you look in the wiring diagram, find a ground wire in that area and use a wire tap-in so you don't have to cut the wire.

---------------
wire tap-in is like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...24&viewitem=&item=8057775394#ebayphotohosting

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
you never really said what the problem is? if you remove the theft deterrant ecu and ground the wire that i mentioned, it's impossible for the stock alarm system to still function.

-shaeff

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
The original problem was that I wasn't able to start the car. It wouldn't crank, nothing. So I took it as a sign to get a new starter! Did so, and still the problem remained. So at this point I'm telling myself "why did you replace the starter when your problem lies with the alarm." I thought nothing of it, and figured taking out the alarm, and grounding a few wires was a piece of cake...and if it had been, I wouldn't be asking these questions as I am now.
So here I am, telling of my issue with my alarm; I said what I did, showed how I did it, and still I'm stuck at the same point I was at before...starter doesn't engage. It is obvious the alarm had killed the starter, yet, I did exactly as what was written, to no success. Any other suggestions? because it's obviously not the alarm.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
you grounded the blue wire with the orange tracer? is it grounded well? did you verify the ground after you connected it?

as long as that wire is grounded, your starter should work fine, assuming all else is in proper order.

check the spade connector on the starter. it's a brown wire. if it's in bad shape, make a new one and replace it. have you checked the ignition switch?

i can assure you that if you ground that blue/orange wire and remove the theft deterrant ECU that your problems are NOT related to the alarm system. start looking elsewhere.

-shaeff