Airbag questions

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
90+ only came with driver's side airbags. As far as I know a passenger side airbag was not available on the MKIII. I have a 92 and no passenger airbag.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
No MK3 came with passenger air bags as far as I know. I've never seen anyone add a driver's side air bag either. It would probably not be worth it, but may be possible. Maybe you can be the first one to do so, but it would probably be a lot of work.

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Yeah well I'm 21 living with parents, biggest reason was to get parents off my back with the "you don't have an airbag shpeel" but in all honesty I've moved on from the "reckless teen" days of driving. It may still be a cool project but it'll have to be shelved for now, other projects take the priority, thanks though

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
IJ.;2023686 said:
30 year old explosive device inches from my face with equally as old sensors and wiring... nah that couldn't possibly go wrong ;)

buy a good quality seat and a Harness.
I read this somewhere and it kind of made sense, the OEM seatbelt let's your body and in turn head move down and forward, so in the event you flip (which I've been in before) the oem seatbelt allows your head and neck to stay clear from a crush in roof, doesn't a harness (without a roll cage present) stop your body in the event of a flip from avoiding a caved roof? Therefore breaking your neck and or injuring your head?
But yes my next interior investment I am planning on a good seat.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They're first gen airbags anyway. Ask anyone that's been hit by them if they think they helped (hint: they HURT far worse than if they weren't there as they're meant to be primary restraints instead of secondary).