Airbag or no? Throw in your $.02 here

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Airbags. We don't like to talk about them much here on SM, so I hope I get a little bit a feedback here. My car's airbag was disabled by previous owner. I have the bag in the steering wheel, but it's unplugged in the center console between the seats, and I believe that both the airbag sensors in the fenders are gone (weighed too much?? i dunno).

I had the car appraised about 5 years ago. This appraiser also does accident reconstruction for insurance and criminal cases. I told him the airbag was disconnected. He stressed that even a first gen airbag was better than none at all. He had seen too many wrecks where the airbag saved lives. At this point I would need new sensors and possibly a new bag (?) and a check of the wiring. I don't know where else to do but take it to a dealership.
I replaced both front seat belts with new ones a few years back (no, there aren't anymore at the dealers, I got two of the three that were left). I still have stock seats.

Suggestions? Comments? Anyone overhauled their airbag system?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
There are many guys on this forum parting out their cars. Finding parts shouldn't be too hard.
Go to your local fire department and ask them their opinion about airbags. Their stories will make you want to install them back in your car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Absolutely you should get the airbag(s) working. It's a life-saving advent that was quickly made a legal requirement for a reason.

Talk to an EMT, firefighter, police officer, etc... if you need any convincing there.

I don't think the sensors or computer are heavy. It seems foolish to remove them. Of all ways to save a couple pounds, that's a dumb one.

Good luck!

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
If you are worried about an old airbag, I bought a 2002 Celica steering wheel and adapted it to fit. Looks great but it took a bit of work to do. Just need a steering wheel that has a single stage airbag (airbag will have two wires going to it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I have the airbag, I don't believe I have the sensors, and I know the controller (computer?) is unplugged. But I don't trust getting these parts at junkyard, or off SM. I will take it back to the dealer and see what they say. There's got to be a way to "test" or run diagnostics on an airbag system, I would think..

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
ZoomZoomZoom;2067081 said:
I have the airbag, I don't believe I have the sensors, and I know the controller (computer?) is unplugged. But I don't trust getting these parts at junkyard, or off SM. I will take it back to the dealer and see what they say. There's got to be a way to "test" or run diagnostics on an airbag system, I would think..

Nick might be able to shine some light on that aspect. I have been meaning to call the local dealer and see what they do and what they charge to do regular "maintenance" on airbags. The manual states to have it inspected every 2 years once it's ten years old, IIRC.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I had an aftermarket steering wheel on my car when I bought it and my airbag controller was unplugged too (also the light in the dash was removed too). In order to pass an inspection I had to fix the airbag system so to not show an error code. Plus I wanted one. It would be relatively easy to see if you have sensors etc. just plug computer in and see if you have an error code related to airbag system. It is a bit tricky to clear the code 43-42 or whatever it is but if you follow TSRM you should be ok. If the airbag light doesn't light up when you turn ignition on then you're missing the light bulb in your dash. It's easy to replace.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I should also mention that when working on your airbag system make sure battery is disconnected.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ZoomZoomZoom;2067081 said:
There's got to be a way to "test" or run diagnostics on an airbag system, I would think..

There is. Do you have a factory repair manual? Plug it in and see what it does. After you know there are no short pins or other things in the harness to make it deploy. I don't know why somebody would put a paperclip in a squib sensor on the harness side but we are talking about MA70 owners.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AB&P=29