Air-fuel controllers?

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
I'm going through my list of what I want for my N/A build this winter, I def want to be able to dial my engine after I go through it and refresh and upgrade as much as possible.

The MAFT-Pro is something I've seen alot of on here but goes for $750 on DM, Thats a bit much.
If i 'll see that much difference I'd go that route but N/A right now..I just think I would.

The other controller Thats looks promising is the AFC-NEO,
Does anyone have any experience with that?

*After the build...Sometime in the 2012 season i plan to bolt on a turbo kit like Devin did.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?132513-My-7MGE-NA-T-Lots-of-good-pics-and-info&p=1644001#post1644001

So, I'll def need it then..Just be nice to be able to get all I can while it's still N/A.

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
If you're looking for actual gains, MaftPro will probably be your best bet. You can ditch the "flapper" and tune accordingly. And since it is what it is, you can use it to tune the engine when you have a turbo on it. Spend a little more now and get gains for the long run.

I had a first generation Apexi SAFC on my 87 when it had a 7M in it and notice nothing much at all but a slight flicker on my air fuel gauge.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
The Map-ECU does the same thing (allows you to get rid of the barn-door air meter), and costs half as much ($300).
And if you ask them, they will flash it for NA only.
It has an auxilliary output to enable your fuel pump (the flapper AFM does this now).
You will need an old lap-top to tune it.
http://www.mapecu.com/

By the way, there has been some problems using MaftPro on the NA.
Search, and you will find what I am talking about.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I would suggest you leave the computer stock and save up for a turbo setup. That way youll actually see some gains in hp.
Ditching the AFM likely wont even register as a gain on the butt dyno.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I run Maft-Pro on an NA and you do feel gains on the butt dyno. Not significant without considerable supporting mods but there are gains. The real benefit of going Maft-Pro is throttle response. On an NA the difference in throttle response between the original AFM and a MAF is night and day.