ahhh engine swap help

funkmastab

Jan 8, 2006
washington
ok so i just blew my 7mge and now im looken into getting a 1jz-gtte
does anybody know of where i get could like a list of what i would need besides the engine and tranny
and my budget is $3000 so is the swap even possible or do i need to just get a 7m-gte

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
the only way you can do it for $3k is to find a full front clip (from Jarco or Venus) & hope that the clip plus shipping fits within you budget. Better hope the owner in Japan installed a new clutch.....

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
not really guys, 3k for a full 1jz swap is pretty fessable, now, I've seen 1jz's going from venus for pretty cheap, I can get a whole front clip 2jz(artisto) for 2.5k and ship it for 400, then all i would have to do is buy the 1jz bellhouse and the MKIV oil pan and im pretty much done, buying wise.
but 3k for a 1jz swap can be done, but shop around.
search on here, there was a thread that was about all the companies that sell engines, and that have 1jz, gtes and 2jzs. and people experience with those companies.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
D34DC311 said:
not really guys, 3k for a full 1jz swap is pretty fessable, now, I've seen 1jz's going from venus for pretty cheap, I can get a whole front clip 2jz(artisto) for 2.5k and ship it for 400, then all i would have to do is buy the 1jz bellhouse and the MKIV oil pan and im pretty much done, buying wise.
but 3k for a 1jz swap can be done, but shop around.
search on here, there was a thread that was about all the companies that sell engines, and that have 1jz, gtes and 2jzs. and people experience with those companies.

It would be almost impossible to do a 1JZ/5spd swap for $3000, UNLESS you live right beside an importer. Even then you better hope nothing goes wrong because you'll go over budget.

A 5spd clip is 2500. Shipping, 400-1000.

You'll still need to buy the:
High pressure PS hose
Battery
Sparkplugs
Oil and filter
Coolant
Supplies to extend the harness.
Engine brackets (if 86.5-early 89)
Then you may need some belts, hoses, gaskets..

There was a clip on ebay about a week ago going for 2500 that didn't sell. I believe they were based in WA, I could find out if you're still interested in going 1JZ.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
If you are doing a swap, you had better have some money saved, man.
When something eventually goes wrong with a 1JZ, be prepared to have your car down for a little while before you have your hands on the part to fix it.

Doing a performance engine swap on a budget is not advised. Setting a goal is so much easier than setting a budget. I think that $3k is a bit unrealistic. $5k will get it done properly. Is it feasible for you to save money a little longer?

Here you have an engine that was not sold in the USA, which makes obtaining parts more difficult. You also have an engine with enormous potential for modifications. Along with that, it has enormous potential to get you hooked on DOING modifications. Saying you are going to swap that engine in and then NOT modding it would be a crime, so let's assume that you are going to mod it.
It's going to break sometime.

Save your money.

funkmastab

Jan 8, 2006
washington
the original owner brought the car with him from japan if that would make things worse or if that would help make things cheaper at all but seing how its goin to cost more then i budgeted i guess im taken the bus for the next couple months

or how much more would it cost to go with the 2jz
and yes im installing it all myself i did a geo metro engine by myself lol and this time i have a mechanic helping me so i figure i can do it
i dont know im eather goin to look for a loan or buy a bus pass lol
and its one of the last 89's that came out atleast thats what i was told im not sure how to tell

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
3K.......Well shop around and you can find a good 1jz front clip shipped for 3K maybe lower, then all you need is your time, new PS hoses, throtal cable from mk4 and a couple other little things. Buy the little things off ebay and probley spend another 100-150 bucks. Have your buddies over that will take BEER for payment for the help, spend another 60 bucks on beer, And presto, vary close to 3k mark. :drink1:

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
funkmastab said:
the original owner brought the car with him from japan if that would make things worse or if that would help make things cheaper at all but seing how its goin to cost more then i budgeted i guess im taken the bus for the next couple months

or how much more would it cost to go with the 2jz
and yes im installing it all myself i did a geo metro engine by myself lol and this time i have a mechanic helping me so i figure i can do it
i dont know im eather goin to look for a loan or buy a bus pass lol
and its one of the last 89's that came out atleast thats what i was told im not sure how to tell

Well you can tell if you have the round motor mounts if there round then you have a late 89, if there square then you have an early 89. Those are one of the thing that stoped me from a 1jz swap. If anything have you thought about a 7mgte swap that may be more in the budget for you.

With 3gs you could swap it rebuild it and still have some money to mod it still laying arround.

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
Its just one of those things you have to do. Mine was so random. In one week I sold my dsm, bought a blown up supra, drove to miami and bought a clip. My money tree wasn't flowing but I still managed to afford to get it done. Its just one of those things that If you want to do it, just do it. You'll make ends meet if you really want it done.

Lets see.
Clip 2400
Bellhousing/flywheel 275
PS line 90
Misc 100
Redline 50

Right there is $2,915 But I know I spend a shit load more than that just cleaning up stuff and getting it all together. For instance I had my friend machine the flywheel down to 11lbs. That wasn't free and I traded a roomate rent for a clutch. New Throw out bearing and pilot bearing everything starts to add up.