aftermarket radiator

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
anyone use the blackworks racing, cx, mizu, or megan radiators on their 7M's if so what did you think? I was gonna buy the Mishimoto radiator but have read that a few people had a fitment issue with their fan hitting the radiator. Or is this a case of you get what you pay for and i should save up for a koyo?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If I were buying an aftermarket radiator for our cars, I would stick to either PWR (if you have the space, on a 7m you do), or Koyo. A bit pricey, but so is an overheated engine...

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Mishimoto redesigned the radiator thanks to several members on here. I have a pre redesign Mishimoto and haven't had any issues in almost 2 years/over 20k running close to redline more than a few times (love to hear the Blitz NUR/Comp Cams valve springs combo ;) ).

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yea i like the koyo units but i was a bit worried not with their quality as everyone says they are great but about fitment. I like the 53mm 2 row but on the website it says it is for a 1jz. I know this is because it has the extra port at the bottom for a sensor that the 7m's dont have. However, i do not know if the 7m and 1jz radiators have their inlet/outlet in the same spot. Furthermore, it says that it was designed to be used with the stock fans but does the 1j and 7m have the same size and positioned fans? I run the stock fan and stock dual auxillary fans along with the shroud and am not sure what the fitment would be like.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1jz has hydrofans. There might be a spot for the hydrofan sensor if it has one.

Same chassis either will fit.

Upper and lower hoses go in the same spot.

Koyo doesn't actually list a 1jz specific radiator on there site. Might just be seeing that the 7m rad can be used for the 1jz.

http://www.koyoradracing.com/products/radiators.asp?make=Toyota

Thing most of the problems the cheaper rads have it there flow problems. The higher end ones never have issues with fans hitting them even when there bigger and closer to the fans.

Koyo pwr or fluidyne would be the 3 I'd buy.

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
what about a FLUIDYNE radiator? thats the one i was going to go with but no one has menchand it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
zby67;1792281 said:
what about a FLUIDYNE radiator? thats the one i was going to go with but no one has menchand it.

Fluidyne , pwr , and koyo are the better brands.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
hvyman;1792305 said:
Fluidyne , pwr , and koyo are the better brands.

Pwr is the only quality brand anymore. Fluidyne is barely better then cheap eBay radiators anymore, koyo is a overpriced mishimoto. Really the mishimoto is best bang for Buck outside of pwr or if you are one of the few with a Griffin radiator.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Raven97990;1792308 said:
Pwr is the only quality brand anymore. Fluidyne is barely better then cheap eBay radiators anymore, koyo is a overpriced mishimoto. Really the mishimoto is best bang for Buck outside of pwr or if you are one of the few with a Griffin radiator.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

any info our links on your statment?

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
one my 1st mk3 i ran a CX racing radiator. Never had a issue with cooling. only issue i had with the CX racing unit was fitting the stock fan shroud back on. you have to do a little modifications.

2nd Mk3 i am running a Fluidyne with no issues

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That's too bad Jared about the Fluidyne and Koyo rads... I love my PWR, but fitment with a JZ is a bit tight concerning fans. 7m, no such worries. :)

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
I bought a fluidyne in August of 09, today while changing my oil I noticed it has been leaking on the bottom part where the vertical cooling fins enter the bottom on BOTH the outlet side and the other side. My car is stock, has never overheated or ran hot, coolant is and always was new toyota red, no physical damage to the radiator, since installed this fluidyne has seen just over 10K miles. I live in a very cool, moderate climate, gets into the 90's maybe a week during the summer.

I am totally disappointed in this rad after this relatively short usage in a stock car/engine. I was told that it is a "direct fit", well not in my definition of "direct" sure it will fall into place on the rad mounts and the upper rad clamps hold it, but I had to add some rubber to the upper rad clamps so they would actually touch the rad, and there was a 3/4 inch gap all the way around the rad and frame that I had to fill up with high temp silicone insulation strips, so....NO it is not a "direct fit".

It was a waste of money. Only a year warranty, so I am left with pulling it out his weekend, and see if it can be repaired/welded. But, that does not make me feel any better. I will likely just go back to a steel oem rad.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprabee;1803582 said:
It was a waste of money. Only a year warranty, so I am left with pulling it out his weekend, and see if it can be repaired/welded. But, that does not make me feel any better. I will likely just go back to a steel oem rad.
While it IS a system, I would suggest that the fan is slightly more important than the radiator itself. If you can't flow air through it, you've got yourself a nice heat sink, no matter the material used...

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Fluidyne.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Koyo fits fine, but you have to
-Shave the lower mounts (typical for any large rad)
-Plug the hydrofan sensor hole with a bolt
-Make lower mounts for fan shroud
-Make lower mount for aux fan

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I run a CXracing. It's huge. It drops in fine but I had to bend the top mounts a little to make it fit. I don't even have a fan shroud. Temp stays at 180 no matter what, but it never gets over 70 degrees here.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I love my mishimoto Rad. No modification was needed, but if you have old worn out radiator hoses, you'll probably have to swap them out for new ones with new clamps. My inlet/outlet were both 2mm smaller in diameter than my stock radiator.