After searching i am left with this:

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Before anyone reads any further, and with all the respect I can give to all that do read this:

I have chosen to go N/A-T on a 2J. I have chosen to not rebuild the 7M(again) I do not care that a 2JZ-GTE is better in every way, I do not care that the 7M could be made to be better than a 2J, nor do I want to start a huge debate on this topic. Tha is not what this posting is inteded for. So please, if you are about to post a comment of that nature here, don't. I am going to attempt to have a few questions answered and possibly make a "How-to-Guide" for this swap, as none seem to exist with these circumstances.

Anyways:​

I am posting this as clearly as possible with correct spelling, grammar and punctuation, as this will be the “intro” to my low budget 7M replacement build. Who knows if I can get clear concise answers, I would like to do a full write up on how to do this and maybe have it “stickied” for future reference.

Vehicle being swapped: 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 speed 7M-GTE
Current setup is a JDM engine on an auto ECU with the R154 behind it.

Ok so after 2 days of searching every forum known to the supra world, as well as every search engine I could think of, I am left to post up a few swap questions. I am ridding myself of the current 7MGTE for my own reasons. I will be picking up a 95 SC300 2JZ-GE setup this week. I am trying to complete this build as cheaply as possible while not “hack-jobbing” it.

Just to clarify this about myself as the forums are not known for understanding who the person is that asking the questions, and everyone is/will be/ or has been looked at as a “newb” until they prove otherwise, I am an ASE certified tech with an arsenal of tools, the knowledge to use them with, and several years of welding and fabrication experience as well.

My Plans:
2JZ N/A – T
Using stock 7M-GTE electronics
Using Stock ct26 on a custom log style manifold (not as efficient as a tubular T4, but on a budget it’s effective for now)
Basically swapping a 7M block and head for a 2J block and head
Using R154 originally equipped in my car

My unresolved Questions:

Driveshaft – will the MKIII stocker work?
Starter – will the MKIII stock unit work on the JZ?
Throttle Cable – I don’t think the factory MKIII will work. What is the solution(s) for this dilemma?
Flywheel – 1JZ or 2JZ
Clutch/Pressure Plate – Will the R154 PP and disc work with the new flywheel?
Fuel Injectors – Will the stock 7M-GTE 440cc injectors fit in the JZ rail and head? Any modifications to them?

I have a few more questions that I will be adding to this original post so as to keep things tidy and organized in this thread. The longer I am taking to type this, the more I have forgotten to ask I really do have a lot of respect for this forum and its members. If I had not stumbled upon this forum after getting my first Supra in 07, I would have sold it long ago and not gotten to enjoy everything that makes the Supra a Supra.

Oh, side note:
I need a 2J to R154 Bell house, whatever flywheel I need, and whatever throttle cable I need.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock ds works fine.
7m starter is better than the jz ones. Just a tad bigger. Use it with my 1jz.
Not quite sure on the throttle cable but it looks like the stock cable should work fine. The ends are the same and it should be long enough. A 2jzgte one should work as well and a camry one would be long but work.
1jz flywheel with r154.
clutch disc and PP are the same.

I forget about the injectors but if there top feed then i think you could use them if not you could use the 2jz 440 or use 2jz 550.

What else are you going to be doing to it?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The bellhousing you'll need is actually a 1JZ to R154 bellhousing, from a JZA70. I think DM sells them brand new.

Have fun with the swap.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
hvyman;1719053 said:
I forget about the injectors but if there top feed then i think you could use them if not you could use the 2jz 440 or use 2jz 550.
7M-GTE top feed 440's fit perfectly into the 2JZ-GE rail.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
Random facts I just remembered:
- You will need custom 1JZ engine brackets since your car is a Pre-1989

- You'll either need a MKIV Supra high pressure power steering line or the $60ish Driftmotion line since the 2JZ's pump is on the driver's side above the A/C compressor.

- You will also need to extend your alternator power wire and 3-wire plug to the passenger's side as the 2JZ's alternator is where the 7M's powersteering pump is. I'm not sure about the SC300 alternator 3-wire plug years. I've heard some are round (7M-style) and some are oval shaped.

- The low pressure power steering lines are 5/8" and 3/8" in I.D. incase you relocate your reservoir.

- You need to drill a slot in your 7M-GTE CPS to be able to bolt it up to where the 2JZ distributor used to be.

- You will need to swap the top covers of the A/C compressors so that your 7M top cover is bolted to the 2JZ compressor. It works on 1JZ's but my powersteering pump appears to be in the way if I ever bolt up my stock 7M lines. Perhaps I got some reman'd/different compressor/top but I thought I'd throw that out there.

- You'll need to swap in your 7M knock sensors because the 2JZ ones are different

- You'll need to swap your 7M coolant temp sensors (ecu & gauge) over to the 2JZ

- I believe the stock 7M-GTE throttle cable is too short but not positive.

- I know you said you're making your own exhaust manifold but FYI 2JZ-GTE's and 2JZ-GE's have very different intake and exhaust patterns/shapes if you will.

- You'll need a thicker headgasket to drop compression, do some research but I hear most go with a stock TT or 2mm MHG

That's all off the top of my head after a long work week.

- Mike

veedubin

Official SM Decals
kneedragger85;1719156 said:
Random facts I just remembered:
- You will need custom 1JZ engine brackets since your car is a Pre-1989

- You'll either need a MKIV Supra high pressure power steering line or the $60ish Driftmotion line since the 2JZ's pump is on the driver's side above the A/C compressor.

- You will also need to extend your alternator power wire and 3-wire plug to the passenger's side as the 2JZ's alternator is where the 7M's powersteering pump is. I'm not sure about the SC300 alternator 3-wire plug years. I've heard some are round (7M-style) and some are oval shaped.

- The low pressure power steering lines are 5/8" and 3/8" in I.D. incase you relocate your reservoir.

- You need to drill a slot in your 7M-GTE CPS to be able to bolt it up to where the 2JZ distributor used to be.

- You will need to swap the top covers of the A/C compressors so that your 7M top cover is bolted to the 2JZ compressor. It works on 1JZ's but my powersteering pump appears to be in the way if I ever bolt up my stock 7M lines. Perhaps I got some reman'd/different compressor/top but I thought I'd throw that out there.

- You'll need to swap in your 7M knock sensors because the 2JZ ones are different

- You'll need to swap your 7M coolant temp sensors (ecu & gauge) over to the 2JZ

- I believe the stock 7M-GTE throttle cable is too short but not positive.

- I know you said you're making your own exhaust manifold but FYI 2JZ-GTE's and 2JZ-GE's have very different intake and exhaust patterns/shapes if you will.

- You'll need a thicker headgasket to drop compression, do some research but I hear most go with a stock TT or 2mm MHG

That's all off the top of my head after a long work week.

- Mike

Awsome everyone, Thank you! a lot of what was brought up I have already prepared for, such as new p/s lines and sensor swap/modifications. Also the GE vs GTE exhaust flange, yes I know they are different. This wont be my first turbo mani I've made, so I am anxious to see how this one will turn out. And for lowering the compression ratio, I will be running the TT head gasket as well as some tweaking to the combustion chambers on the head. So that should loosen things up a bit and allow me to blow a little more air in there safely.

Thanks again guys. I am on my way out the door to hit the junk yards for a few things, but when I return I will have a few more questions to post up. Again, thanks

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Back again with some more questions. The project is, as every ones project does, going slowly. But it is progressing. I should have some pictures of the progress this weekend. I have pulled the entire motor apart to clean, check clearances, and tweak. Rather surprised at how well it looks internally.
At any rate, I have arrived at a few more questions that I am a bit unresolved on:

1.) Will the 2JZ TPS be compatible with the 7M ECU?
a.)I will be using a JDM 7MGTE Auto ecu to control the 2J. Will also be deleting the EGR system off the 2J.​

2.)Pilot bearing - The 2J has a pilot bearing installed, and I am not sure if the car was originally a 5spd or auto. So will the pilot bearing from the 7M R154 fit in the 2J crank?

3.)Oil feed location? I am going to end up drilling the union bolt similar to the newer IS300 setup, but I have seen pictures of guys accessing a port on the D/S of the block towards the timing cover. I have not been able to find anything of the sorts on my block. Is it possible that there were variations in blocks through out the 2J riegn?

4.)Throttle cable: I have only found this in 1 thread, but seems logical. 92 -94 camry cable is supposed to fit just right with a little extra slack. Any one have real world knowledge on this subject?

5.)Does any one have a DXF file of a 2JZGE exhaust mani flange? or any line on were to buy one pre made? I am having a hard time locating anyone with a CNC plasma or water jet around here. They do exist, but they are all major companies who want a minimum order of like 500 pcs before they will talk to me.....

I just want to say thank you again to all that have offered up advice and assistance either on this thread or through other threads that I have looked through

I would like to have a full "step by step" write up on this swap at the end. I have found so much knowledge on this forum that I feel it would be a good way to contribute something back.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pilot bearings are the same.

Im using a camry throttle cable. Can also you the mk4 tt cable.

Are you trying to make your own t4 manifold? cause there like 150$ new. Check on amazon for a cx racing or godspeed one.

You can use the oil feed from the port about 3-4in farther forward than the oil pressure sensor. Its right behind the timing cover and its a little allen plug.

About the tps idk for sure but you prolly have to use the 2j tps and just wire it up correctly.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
kneedragger85;1732775 said:
#2:
All pilot bearings are the same from MKII-MKIV. I don't believe autos even come with a pilot bearing as was the case when my 2JZ arrived with the auto still bolted to it.

#3:
It's to the left of the oil pressure sender hole if you have one.

#5:
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-2jzget4manifold.php

Thanks for the info, I did realize after posting that the motor indeed was a 5spd, I just let that escape for a moment. Any ways, no I am not making a T4 mani... I'm making a 2JZGE CT26 mani...... Trying to save some money by using what is already in my posession.

Oil feed: do you have any pictures, as I removed the factory 2J oil press sensor an it was all the way front of the block by the timing cover. Only allen heads i saw on the block were coolant jacket drains.

Thanks again everyone.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
2jzge water temp sensors work just fine with the 7M harness and ecu. Water temp sensor for the gauge works just like the 7M do. There is no need to swap them. I've done so many of these that I lost count.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
hvyman;1732770 said:
Im using a camry throttle cable. Can also you the mk4 tt cable.

what year camry cable? or does it really matter?

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

veedubin;1732950 said:
no I am not making a T4 mani... I'm making a 2JZGE CT26 mani...... Trying to save some money by using what is already in my posession.

Thanks again everyone.

there are these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.ca/T3-CT26-Flange-A...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf8206361 and http://cgi.ebay.ca/OBX-T3-T4-STEEL-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adb145c7a

if using a cast style manifold it should fit no problem. but it will move the turbo about 3 inches from stock (on a 7m anayws)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Mid 90's, Think people were saying like 93-96. If it goesfrom the fire wall to like 2.5ft plus your good.