Afr 9.5

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
Noticed AFR 9.5 on an uphill grade & traced it to a blown bypass valve. Replaced it w/ a Porsche 110 valve - Problem Solved........not.

Test drive up the same grade & 9.5 again!

Pressure testing the intake end-to-end, I could hear a leak but couldn't find it; even w/ a smoking candle. Decided to tear the whole system down, & found the back of #1 hose blown out behind the turbocharger.

No Problem....Champion online discount price $138!!!!!
Extensive internet shopping resulted in $115 on EB (China, I think) Could take months to get here..

Decided to fab something w/ a 45* hose & aluminum tube - found both on CXRacing. But before hitting the send button, I tried Kragen/O'reilly & sorted through their hose racks.
I found a hose w/ the correct bends, it's too long - but I gotta knife.

Gates part # 20912 for an International Wayfarer circa 1960's. $24.99

I'll try to post photos.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Looks like a pretty good match. FYI they sell a full set of silicone replacement intercooler hoses on ebay for around $90 iirc.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Silicone for IC piping is stupid IMO. Just eat the price and buy a 'universal' IC piping kit or buy a bolt in kit.

9.5 AFR at full boost on a stock car is not very far from 'normal' operation.

My car with stock everything other than full exhaust was at 10.1 at WOT.

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
agree w/ not to far from normal at full boost - but this was at NO boost.. :(
I looked at the silicone hoses but didn't care for 'em either.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Nice find. I hate dealing with that hose its a pain

Soon I will be piecing together my own kit and was going to try and do something that could be saved as a sticky so i can contribute something around here lol

I want to list out all the pieces (bends, straights, and couplers) needed to piece together an aluminum piping kit yourself that uses the stock routing path and keeps the 3000 pipe.

Is there anything like that already?

getzke

Jul 14, 2010
Eagan, MN
I have that IC piping setup on mine, it's ok... Cheap tin-can like thickness to the pipes but it all lines up and mates great with OE style IC (I have a 2.5" cartech). For the money and the utility, can't beat it.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
A friend of mine here in town bought an ebay 2.5" hard pipe kit similar to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-INCH-UN...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a130fc891&vxp=mtr and didn't use not even half of it. I believe he paid less than that kit though. I bought the other half that he had for only $35 and used a couple of pipes, couplers, and t-bolts to fab up my hard pipe kit. I placed the pieces where I wanted them and used masking tape to hold them together. I took them to a fabricator that I know and paid him $40 to weld up all the joints for me. I paid $75 for my hard pipe and happy with it. You gotta get creative with it.

When all said and done I still had piping, couplers, and t-bolts left over and gave it back to him cause someone else needed it to make his hard pipe kit on an MR2 I believe. So that kit he bought made hard pipe kits for two MKIII's and one MR2.

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
nice!
I have one of the universal kits, but none of the pipes were shaped like the #1 vertical hose....I think I'm gonna sell the uni kit & buy the specific one.