AFM upgrade

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
When doing the Lexus afm upgrade, do i need to get the electronics from the upgraded afm if the electronics on the stock one is good? Or does the stock electronics work with the upgraded afm. Thanks.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The stock electronics will work fine with the Lex AFM...DO NOT use carb cleaner on the sensor that goes inside the AFM to clean it. ;)

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
with this upgrade whats this i hear about at like past 15lbs there's not enough vacuum and the engine could run lean while not boosting or something like that.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Boss302 said:
with this upgrade whats this i hear about at like past 15lbs there's not enough vacuum and the engine could run lean while not boosting or something like that.

what? mine was fine at all times under vaccum and boost conditions....

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Boss302 said:

:cry:

what shaeff said.

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
thank you for setting me straight again it's just on one of these threads and a few others i've seen like on mkiiitech.com they said it cost them a motor cause of vacuum problems.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the lex afm won't cause you any vacuum problems. if you don't add fuel to the mix with the LEX afm, then there's the potential hazzard of running lean. when doing air upgrades, make sure you have enough fuel to counteract it.

-shaeff

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
I hope you are running Bigger Injectors with the AFM Upgrade. I didnt have any Problems at all and I was at the time running 17 psi all day

Robert

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A Lex AFM is about 25% larger than stock...550 injectors are 25% larger than stock. They basically balance each other out.

Fuel cut gets raised by allowing more un-metered air through the AFM...the ability to monitor air/fuel ratio with a wideband O2 is good insurance against inadvertly leaning the motor out and cooking it (that's the danger of using stock 440 injectors). This goes hand-in-hand with a fuel turner like the Apexi SAFC

A high pressure fuel pump and adjustable FPR are a very good idea too :naughty:

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
just so im really clear on all this before i do this setup. the lexus afm, 550cc inj, adjustable FPR, and 255LPH pump will do the trick but for safety i should get a wideband O2 and a SAFC to go with it. i could do it without those at first and add them later withou being in too much danger. am i correct on this?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
In my book, the Lex, 550's and 255 Walbro are required items for this mod. The adjustable APR helps with idle and provides min "tuning" ability...i.e. if you're lean, you can add some fuel pressure. The wideband is the only way you will be able to accurately tell what's going on with the motor...lean or rich under normal run and boost. The SAFC is how you will get the real power out of this set-up.

I have all of the above, except the SAFC...I'm going with an AEM stand alone and it will make the Lex moot. You could also go with a Maft Pro; it does not need an AFM at all, but you have to buy a couple of sensors...it also has the ability to control boost as well as fuel. Do a search on it for more info...personally, I think the Maft Pro is a lot of bang for the buck and no more AFM to boot!