AFM question

gtimportfanatic

Mk3 Addict
May 21, 2008
Hartford CT
.. so i bought the lexus AFM recently.. i dont have the bigger injectors yet.. but i connected it and i started the car and didnt rev it..but holding the throttle.. the car felt sluggish in neutral.. it bogged down when i had the gas steady.. i didnt rev over 2k rpm. took out the AFM and put the stocker back on there.. and the car was back to normal... the other thing is too.. the engine was rocking kinda hard when the AFM was on there but then with the stocker it was smooth.. can anyone explain wat the problem would be.. could it just be too much air and not enough fuel?

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Fletch124;1097776 said:
You absolutely need 550s with a lex AFM.

Not true, you can run 440's if you have an safc or other way to tune the fuel and a wideband to keep a close eye on things.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Poodles;1097761 said:
You're throwing the tune off by 25% what do you expect?

True, but the symptoms hes describing sounds more like bad electronics on the lex unit. If youre feeling experimental, take the electronics from the stock one and put them in the lex unit to see if it will free-rev over 2k. I wouldnt drive it around that way though. wait for the 550s/other supporting mods.

Edit - just noticed you were in Hartford....If you need any help/custom work, feel free to let me know :)

gtimportfanatic

Mk3 Addict
May 21, 2008
Hartford CT
it revs over it just bogs down a bit.. it just felt restricted.. the car wasnt being driven.. i just put it it on and started the car.. but fuck it.. for now imma run my stock AFM, turn up the boost to like 10 lbs and call it a day til i ge tthe 550s..

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Slow66;1097962 said:
True, but the symptoms hes describing sounds more like bad electronics on the lex unit. If youre feeling experimental, take the electronics from the stock one and put them in the lex unit to see if it will free-rev over 2k. I wouldnt drive it around that way though. wait for the 550s/other supporting mods.

Edit - just noticed you were in Hartford....If you need any help/custom work, feel free to let me know :)

You should be using the stock electronics from the Supra.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I agree with Slow, I have the Lex AFM and it works fine. It sounds like the electronics are bad on the Lex, just swap over the stock electronics and you should be fine. It is going to run a little sluggish though so I would def get at least a HKS SAFR or Apexi SAFC to tune it with.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Doesn't matter, the electronics are IDENTICLE. I'm running the electronics from a lexus AFM in mine right now because the originals failed.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Toy-Rific;1098002 said:
You should be using the stock electronics from the Supra.

Poodles;1098010 said:
Doesn't matter, the electronics are IDENTICLE. I'm running the electronics from a lexus AFM in mine right now because the originals failed.

^this.

gtimportfanatic

Mk3 Addict
May 21, 2008
Hartford CT
so should i take the electronics from the stock afm and try that? ... and even so.. just running the lexus one.. would that do more harm than good without the 550s and does it even show an improvement without the added fuel?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Keep the stock AFM on for now.

What are your goals/plans for the car? Whats done already to warrant the 550s/lex?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
When you put the Lex AFM on there without 550cc injectors you are running 25% less fuel than you should be. You are totally screwing with the stock computer and running lean. Don't do it! There's no gains to be made without adding the proper amount of fuel. You WILL blow your engine up if you run around that way.

gtimportfanatic

Mk3 Addict
May 21, 2008
Hartford CT
Slow66;1098063 said:
Keep the stock AFM on for now.

What are your goals/plans for the car? Whats done already to warrant the 550s/lex?

the goal is basic BPU as the car is my daily driver.. so far the car has HKS MHG, DSM BOV, 3 inch exhaust no cat, K&N air filter, ACT stage 2 clutch. the AFM i just got.. ordering the 550s next, and then AFC to tune it.. if i make 300whp when all said and done i would be completely happy

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Fletch124;1097776 said:
You absolutely need 550s with a lex AFM.

You absolutely don't, but thanks for playing! You do need an SAFC or equivalent to tune it though, and some careful drive time for the computer to adjust.

OP: As several other people said that sounds like bad electronics. Just get an SAFC, you can EASILY and SAFELY make 300hp on 440s.