Aerochargers

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I saw this on SF and thought I'd share it here.

I would love to try one if they had one that supported more then 350whp

http://www.aerocharger.com/66series.php

http://www.aerocharger.com/technology.php

Here's a graph comparison

p1898859_1.jpg

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Interesting concept. But i don't think I would like it because it would take away the feeling of the car "pulling" throughout the powerband, it wud just shoot u like a rocket. According to the power curve in the graph it would get u to max power very fast (which is cool) but then your done pulling. Would be great for drag applications but not for my personal driver enjoyment. Now what would be awesome is if you could some how have this and a turbo work together sequentially.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I thought the cool things about VATN turbos was the fact that you could go without a wastegate. They are able to hold whatever boost you want. Corky Bell loves these things from reading his book.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Ah, Aerochargers, I remember first reading about them in a little book called Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Those turbochargers are a pretty unique piece of engineering. They don't actually use oil cycled by the engine. They have a reservoir of turbine oil, that is why the compressor housing looks so weird.

And while the graph does look smoothed the information it contains doesn't look to off. Full boost by 2700 RPM. And then it maintained at that point by a computerized boost controller of some sort.

7M4EVR;1898880 said:
Interesting concept. But i don't think I would like it because it would take away the feeling of the car "pulling" throughout the powerband, it wud just shoot u like a rocket. According to the power curve in the graph it would get u to max power very fast (which is cool) but then your done pulling. Would be great for drag applications but not for my personal driver enjoyment. Now what would be awesome is if you could some how have this and a turbo work together sequentially.

Remember that is not a torque curve. The feeling of “pulling” isn't going to end just because you hit full boost. Each engine will have its own torque curve based on design(cams, head, volumetric efficiency). The feeling of pulling will still be there, and for a longer period. Also the boost curve is flat because it is controlled. You could just let the turbocharger run right up and out of its efficiency range like most people do with turbochargers.

peavy

Nov 10, 2011
Ontario
The price point doesn't seem all that appealing. The website says 2,500 for that 66 series. Seems steep for the relatively modest power goal of 375Hp... maybe I'm missing something?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
NashMan;1898948 said:
I wounder if you can change the oil in that thing
Yeah, you can. However oil that comes into contact with the bearings never returns to the resivour. So there is no need to change it. You do in theory need to top it off every now and then. But of the few I have seen and been used, non were in need.
peavy;1898949 said:
The price point doesn't seem all that appealing. The website says 2,500 for that 66 series. Seems steep for the relatively modest power goal of 375Hp... maybe I'm missing something?

This is probably the biggest reason they haven't caught on. For less money you can access a much larger, wider variety of turbocharger. So you can better taylor them to your goals. The Aerochargers are marvels of engineering. You get the benefits of VNT, the reduced installation complexity of not having to run oil lines, and some very liberal installation parameters. But these are very focused turbos. designed for very specific applications(you only have two compressor maps, if your needs go off the map, tough titty). Trying to fit them outside of those applications requires compromise. So most people don't see the point of paying that much extra for something they would have to compromise with.

If they become more popular maybe Aerocharger will make them for more applications.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Dan_Gyoba;1898958 said:
Except... I'm pretty sure that my stock CT-26 was hitting 9 PSI before 2700 RPM with a manual boost controller, and was staying there all the way to redline.

my 57 trim with my mods plus a greddy profec b spec 2 hits full boost 8 psi around 2200 in any gear after 1st. ill confirm it next time i drive it

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Dirgle;1898959 said:
Yeah, you can. However oil that comes into contact with the bearings never returns to the resivour. So there is no need to change it. You do in theory need to top it off every now and then. But of the few I have seen and been used, non were in need.

This is probably the biggest reason they haven't caught on. For less money you can access a much larger, wider variety of turbocharger. So you can better taylor them to your goals. The Aerochargers are marvels of engineering. You get the benefits of VNT, the reduced installation complexity of not having to run oil lines, and some very liberal installation parameters. But these are very focused turbos. designed for very specific applications(you only have two compressor maps, if your needs go off the map, tough titty). Trying to fit them outside of those applications requires compromise. So most people don't see the point of paying that much extra for something they would have to compromise with.

If they become more popular maybe Aerocharger will make them for more applications.

so in a nut shell ya can change the fuild

only way of it getting rid of the oil is it bleading it's self out

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
There is a fill port on the front of the compressor housing. So to properly drain it your would have to remove the turbo, and turn it with the front of the compressor facing down.

The thing uses a wick, similar to the wick that your typical Zippo Lighter uses to draw fluid up. It pulls the low viscosity, high temp fluid up from the reservoir housing/compressor housing and into a separate, "bearing" housing and coats the tight tolerance bearings with a light sheen of oil. These bearings do not float in a fluid like the turbos were used to dealing with.

Also the bearings are not located in the CHRA(center housing/rotating assambly) like most turbos. They are housed in front of the compressor blades and then the shaft moves straight through, to the turbine. This keeps the bearings as far away from the hot section as possible, directly in the path of the incoming cool air charge.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Same type of turbo I have in my PowerStroke diesel, the way it was always explained to me was that it gives you that power for take off, but then adjusts to give you more eficiency at higher speeds/cruising