AEM v2 pnp or MS3 pro

b17what

Sep 18, 2014
indianapolis
At the moment I have two 7mgte's. One is a stock motor with ARP bolts/studs everywhere they can be used. Cometic gasket. Balanced crank. Balanced rods. Rebuilt stock head. The other one is getting slowly built over the next two years(not much of a car budget, just got a house). It's getting rods, pistons, and built head. I will be running the first motor for awhile with a gt35 with a front mount set up with ID1000's and a walbro 400lph pump with braided fuel lines with braided lines. I would like to run aftermarket coil on plug set up and no maf. Would like to run speed density with a IAT. I want to have every running an lower boost with the first engine to make sure everything is PERFECT electrical and fuel wise before I even think about putting the built engine in. Just want to swap it in and go have it tunned again for a lot more boost on a gt42r.

I don't know if the AEM would be capable to do what I want with a stock harness when I get to the built motor. Most guys I see running over 600 are using a stand alone that are over $2k with custom wiring. Not much info about MS3 pro mk3 cars. At least not that I am finding. I know people are using it and like it. and thats about it. I built a harness for MS2 on a bmw m30b25 with similar stuff I will be using on the 7m. So wiring is not really a problem. Just a pain in the ass and takes time.

Would I be better off going MS3? Or Aem v2 pnp for simplicity? They are about the same price.

Thanks guys.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
IMO ms3 is more capable and more current. Aem has basically given up on the v2 and focused on the infinity.

Besides with a 7m your always better off with a new harness.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I was thinking about getting the AEM V2 also, but now I guess I'll check into the ms3. I don't know anything about it, but I'm sure hvyman knows more than I do.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's a good little unit and has made its way into just about everything including all kinds of racing.

Has all the standard features that all standalone a have and then all the features for what ever fuel setup you want. Has all the launch and 2/3step control. Nitrous injection. Multiple stages of everything.

Can also run literally what ever sensors, injectors, coils, cam and crank sensors and wheels with just about any configuration.
Any sort of idle valve and has a very easy setup for a/c idle up.

Hands down best tried and tested bang for the buck. Only about 1275 with 8' harness. After that you only need maybe 100$ in connectors for what ever setup your using.

b17what

Sep 18, 2014
indianapolis
hvyman;2035604 said:
It's a good little unit and has made its way into just about everything including all kinds of racing.

Has all the standard features that all standalone a have and then all the features for what ever fuel setup you want. Has all the launch and 2/3step control. Nitrous injection. Multiple stages of everything.

Can also run literally what ever sensors, injectors, coils, cam and crank sensors and wheels with just about any configuration.
Any sort of idle valve and has a very easy setup for a/c idle up.

Hands down best tried and tested bang for the buck. Only about 1275 with 8' harness. After that you only need maybe 100$ in connectors for what ever setup your using.

Was looking into the ms3 pro. Really like the fact that I can basicly use all gm sensors that are very low in price. Speed density, map sensor, etc... I will l def go this route. With the ms3 I would never go pnp. Just no reason too with what you can do. That and my harness is very brittle. Cps sensor wires are fub'r...

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
hvyman;2035514 said:
IMO ms3 is more capable and more current. Aem has basically given up on the v2 and focused on the infinity.

Besides with a 7m your always better off with a new harness.

b17what;2035615 said:
Was looking into the ms3 pro. Really like the fact that I can basicly use all gm sensors that are very low in price. Speed density, map sensor, etc... I will l def go this route. With the ms3 I would never go pnp. Just no reason too with what you can do. That and my harness is very brittle. Cps sensor wires are fub'r...

If you look at it is is actually a dual PnP/universal unit. All MS3 options are there and available if you want them(wiring required). On top of the MS3pro options there are also, a built in MAP sensor, built in Baro sensor, built in bluetooth, auto control, will mount in stock location, 1 year warranty, $1200. Just that extra stuff there that won't come with a standard MS3pro is worth it. Those AMP ECU connectors are readily available, they were in MANY cars, and wire is cheap(comparatively).

Heck I can still run this in my wifes mini van or a v12 or a rotary, it will just have AMP connectors at the ECU. My plan is to run all my "opitions"(injectors,coils,front wheel vss,launch switch,and any other I/O's i want) out the un-used 12 pin connector that a 1j would use, or any pins I'll be deleting that the TCCS used but the MS will not, so it looks nice/clean/factory. But that is just my cup of tea, others see it as non interchangeable.

Back to the question though, Ive been researching standalones for quite some time and the V2 was one of the first OFF the list, mainly because lack of support. Like Hvyman said they're more focused on the infinity now. But the MS3pro just keeps getting better and better, go to the MS forums and just troll around, you'll learn alot about that ECU.

Last edited:

b17what

Sep 18, 2014
indianapolis
Bmettie;2035680 said:
If you look at it is is actually a dual PnP/universal unit. All MS3 options are there and available if you want them(wiring required). On top of the MS3pro options there are also, a built in MAP sensor, built in Baro sensor, built in bluetooth, auto control, will mount in stock location, 1 year warranty, $1200. Just that extra stuff there that won't come with a standard MS3pro is worth it. Those AMP ECU connectors are readily available, they were in MANY cars, and wire is cheap(comparatively).

Heck I can still run this in my wifes mini van or a v12 or a rotary, it will just have AMP connectors at the ECU. My plan is to run all my "opitions"(injectors,coils,front wheel vss,launch switch,and any other I/O's i want) out the un-used 12 pin connector that a 1j would use, or any pins I'll be deleting that the TCCS used but the MS will not, so it looks nice/clean/factory. But that is just my cup of tea, others see it as non interchangeable.

Back to the question though, Ive been researching standalones for quite some time and the V2 was one of the first OFF the list, mainly because lack of support. Like Hvyman said they're more focused on the infinity now. But the MS3pro just keeps getting better and better, go to the MS forums and just troll around, you'll learn alot about that ECU.

My biggest fear is that no one around me professionally tunes it. Ill have to go a hours away.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is prolly a few people around you that tune it. It's very easy to tune and learn to tune.

Can just ask around on the msextra.com forum.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Do you buy it directly from Ms or do any of our vendors sell it. I haven't checked to see if Aaron sells it. That's who I was going to get the AEM from.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
b17what;2035615 said:

Take a look at the ECUMaster EMU. If you look at what's included it's a better value than the MS3 Pro. We give you a wideband and a built-in 4 bar MAP sensor and connectors and pins for $1200. If you want a flying lead harness that's just an additional $110. I speak with professional tuners on a daily basis and hands-down they've enjoyed working with our product. Also, any tuner that has used any of the major systems on the market will have no trouble using our ECU, the software is extremely straightforward.

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
Zach;2035893 said:
Take a look at the ECUMaster EMU. If you look at what's included it's a better value than the MS3 Pro. We give you a wideband and a built-in 4 bar MAP sensor and connectors and pins for $1200. If you want a flying lead harness that's just an additional $110. I speak with professional tuners on a daily basis and hands-down they've enjoyed working with our product. Also, any tuner that has used any of the major systems on the market will have no trouble using our ECU, the software is extremely straightforward.
+10000