Advice for the next step.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I've got a 88 supra with a ct26 57 trim, driftmotion downpipe, driftmotion intercooler kit, AEM UEGO wideband, walbro 255, aeromotive FPR and a apexi air filter.

I'm trying to make the next step to raising fuel cut but do it safely and not end up with a whole bunch of parts I won't need when I decide to make the step further. I have a set of 560cc injectors I'll be sending in to driftmotion to get cleaned and tested before I install them.

I'm looking for opinions to lean out the car while under boost as to not turn my oil into dirty gas. I've thought about going SAFC but that seems to be old tech now and easily replaced but next spring or summer I'm looking to go AEM EMS v2.

So I guess my question is, what should I do? Install the 560cc's after I get them back from driftmotion and just run them til I go standalone? Buy a SAFC and install the injectors? Just wait til I install my standalone?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
If it were me I'd grab a Lex AFM to go with the 560's and enjoy until you get the AEM. This way you're out less than $100 and only have 1 extra part that can easily be sold when you upgrade.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Depends really I think the safc is cheap enough that I would get one and run it with the lex mod until I could afford a standalone. Then you could easily resell

Not sure if your saying you want to just run 560s and no lex afm (which will not raise fuel cut)

Or that you just don't know what tuning device you should invest in before going standalone.

I think you should run Lex/560 + safc1/2 or neo.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Actually, the Lexus AFM and a boost controller is all you need to get to 16 PSI or so. (Assuming that you install the injectors with the AFM.)

Another tuning device is nice, but if you're planning on going stand-alone, then I wouldn't invest in one.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Dan_Gyoba;1883585 said:
Actually, the Lexus AFM and a boost controller is all you need to get to 16 PSI or so. (Assuming that you install the injectors with the AFM.)

Another tuning device is nice, but if you're planning on going stand-alone, then I wouldn't invest in one.

My car ran like crap with just lex mod and nothing to tune way to rich

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Of course ymmv. Some people (such as me) have very good results with just the Lexus AFM and injectors. Was I leaving power 'on the table? Certainly. But I had confidence that I wasn't going to damage anything by running too lean at 16 psi and melting a piston. I was making decent power for no tuning.

I always advocate for not buying anything that you already plan to replace. I only advise buying the Lexus AFM because its already a used part and will probably not depreciate any further. It makes no changes to the wiring harness, and could still be used for a stand alone system, if not going to MAP.

I wouldn't buy a piggyback if you're already planning to go stand alone, just like I wouldn't advise rebuilding a 7M if you're already planning a 2JZ swap. In this case it seems to me that a stand alone is the plan, so buying a piggyback 'just for now' is a waste of money.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Of course I plan to install the lex afm along with the injectors, I'm just not interested in running too rich.

The reason I'm even doing the lex afm and 560's is because my car came with a lex afm and I was able to pick up 2 others at 10 bucks a piece AND my friend sold me his 560's for 100 bucks and I just need to get them cleaned before I install them.

The tuning aspect isn't because I'm afraid of leaving power on the table but it's because I don't want the engine running too rich and filling my oil with gas, essentially ruining the lubricating properties of it.

My plans for this engine is to keep it, regardless of how many times I have to rebuild it. I'd love to bolt a 67mm PT on it and see what I could really make her do, I'm hoping for 600 minimum off of pump gas and meth mix until E85 becomes more available in my area.

Great little debate going on here, keep it up.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
With the 560's you're going to have to tune it a bit with the AFPR. I take it you bypassed (or drilled out) the J-tube?

Buying a used SAFC wouldn't be bad, since you could then turn around and sell it again when you don't need it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I'd assume that the Aeromotive AFPR is the kit which includes the J tube bypass.

In this case, yes, you have one tuning control.

As such, I'd say, install the injectors and Lexus AFM. You have a wideband, so see how that goes. You can make some gross adjustments using the AFPR if you're running as pig rich as the stock TCCS likes to (And BTW, running everything stock will still get you 10:1 AFRs) You should be able to get things running decently (though it WILL run rich, since the TCCS will adjust based on learned values from closed loop mode.) This will hold you over until you go stand alone. I still say don't invest in a piggyback that you're going to discard.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dan_Gyoba;1883801 said:
I'd assume that the Aeromotive AFPR is the kit which includes the J tube bypass.

In this case, yes, you have one tuning control.

As such, I'd say, install the injectors and Lexus AFM. You have a wideband, so see how that goes. You can make some gross adjustments using the AFPR if you're running as pig rich as the stock TCCS likes to (And BTW, running everything stock will still get you 10:1 AFRs) You should be able to get things running decently (though it WILL run rich, since the TCCS will adjust based on learned values from closed loop mode.) This will hold you over until you go stand alone. I still say don't invest in a piggyback that you're going to discard.

I assume nothing :)

On the piggyback front, that's why I said buy used. Turn around and resell it for the price you paid for it and you're out nothing in the long run.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I agree on buying a used safc they can be had for under $200 and its just a nice thing to have until you make that leap to a standalone ems. You also never know what the feature holds and how far off the standalone might be put off because of financial comings.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Poodles;1883811 said:
I assume nothing :)

On the piggyback front, that's why I said buy used. Turn around and resell it for the price you paid for it and you're out nothing in the long run.

I've thought about that heavily, and yes it's the AFPR kit from driftmotion which deletes the jtube. How difficult is it to wire in the safc? My engine harness seems to be in rough shape as it is and I'm really not trying to cut a whole bunch of brittle wires. I do plan on buying a new engine harness as well with quite a few things removed from it, EGR VSV's etc etc when I go standalone.

I've never tinkered with a piggyback much less a SAFC, I have seen a few videos about it and how some of the features work. Does it tune based on throttle percentage or just WOT?

Looking to do this safely, I don't even have a EBC or MBC yet as I want my fuel system to be able to handle more than the 57 trim can do.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Safc's are really simple to wire up about 5-8 wire in total and it wires right next to the ecu part of the harness. About 20min worth of work

Fairly easy to learn how to use also.

It can go buy throttle percentage and wot depends on what you want.

Also monitors rpm/throttle percentage/voltage ect.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Turbo Habanero;1883590 said:
My car ran like crap with just lex mod and nothing to tune way to rich

Sorry about your troubles, but that is on you. They run just fine. And thanks for the reminder, I am going to stick my head in your build thread now. :)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Poodles;1883897 said:
Without any way to raise boost, there's not much reason to do many of these mods :)

Yet, I should say. I was trying to say I'm more focused on the fuel system as of right now. A EBC wouldn't help me right now anyways because if I'm floored in anything after 2nd, fuel cut hits at 4500.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Nick M;1883930 said:
Sorry about your troubles, but that is on you. They run just fine. And thanks for the reminder, I am going to stick my head in your build thread now. :)

Well yeah I just figured it could be one of those things. Even lowering my base FP to 25psi it still ran to fat and felt sluggish. With a safc ran much better and definitely worth the $150 I spent on it.

But yea most get away with just the adjustment screw and a afpr.

As for my build thread good luck in there its full or drug references and fast and furious quotes :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have the stock regulator, no adjustment, stock damper, stock pump. It drives like stock, until you put your foot on the floor. And it idles like it is supposed to idle. So can all of your 7MGTEs with the Lex meter and 550's. Stop taking things off the car that it "doesn't need" and watch it run like it is supposed to run.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Nick M;1884012 said:
I have the stock regulator, no adjustment, stock damper, stock pump. It drives like stock, until you put your foot on the floor. And it idles like it is supposed to idle. So can all of your 7MGTEs with the Lex meter and 550's. Stop taking things off the car that it "doesn't need" and watch it run like it is supposed to run.

Honestly i noticed most of my rich conditions when i went to a bigger pump but i was also running a 60-1 turbo and 18-19psi

I never removed any thing other then Cruise control and the Jtube. I believe my car had everything full EGR system PCV system and even a CAT. I did have a aftermarket BOV.

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
Since you guys are on the debate of running the Lex AFM and 550cc injectors, would that also be a good upgrade if I am installing stage 2 cams from Brian Crower, keeping the stock CT-26 running around 15 psi until I go standalone? I am looking at the AEM standalone and I am wondering if it just plugs into the wiring harness at the stock computer and everything else stays the same? So in the case of the standalone, would I be better off having the Lex AFM?